Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Vogue 1150 - A muslin

Okay, just posting this to prove to you that I actually do make muslins on occasion. This fabric is a lavender cotton knit that I've had in my stash forever. I didn't know what to do with it since I'm not that fond of pastel colors, but it finally proved to be useful. I want to use my beloved turquoise wool doubleknit from a recent Denverfabrics.com purchase, but didn't want to take a chance on ruining the fabric if the dress was a poor fit. I cut a 10 on top and graded it out to a 12 at the hips and the fit is perfection. But scandalously short on me, and I didn't even take the 1" hem! I am 5'5", people. So I'll add 3.5" to the length and cut it out tonight. This should go somewhat quickly but does have a fair amount of topstitching. I'm super excited to get started.

By the way, Justin says to me after he snapped this picture, "That sure seems like a lot of work for something you'll just throw away." I totally agree, and don't know how some of you do it for every garment!

22 comments:

  1. Well, that "muslin" looks wearable to me! I'd wear it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with june, it looks wearable to me too - rather than throwing it away could you donate it to a charity shop or something?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That or trim it off to top-length for a layering top.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute! Can't wait to see the finished product. I agree, donating to charity is a great idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is not too short. It looks really cute on you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made the other Cythia Steffe dress and at 5'6" had the same length issues. I think I added a total of 3 inches and it's still a very short dress. I really think it would have been something Lady Gaga would have been proud to own had I left it as is. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It definitely looks like you've achieved a great fit there. In your gorgeous turquoise doubleknit this dress is going to look amazing. And I agree with the other commenters - you should make some use of that muslin!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with Myra...I think you can lp in off to make a cute top!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The fit is very nice! I can't wait to see the final version!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wouldn't throw it away! It looks cute on you! If you think it's too short how about wearing a pair of leggings with it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chop it shorter until it's tunic length! It would look super with black pants.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Eh, I don't love the color either. But the dress will look great in the turquoise!

    I can't believe how short the dress is. You look great in it - you can definitely pull it off - but I'd be a little self-conscious in it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree...cut it to top length or tunic length and wear it with darker color pants or a jacket. I think the color looks nice on you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your final dress is going to really cute! Please consider not lengthening it too much as part of the cuteness is in the mini length.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I totally agree with you about muslins. I have no idea how some do it all the time!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so glad you previewed this pattern. I bought it for my daughter who is 5'10" and while I would have added 3" as I usually do, it would not have been enough. Thanks. You look cute in it even if it is pretty short.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've got this one cut out- maybe I'll get to it someday! Can't wait to see yours! PS- I like your hair in this pic!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'd add a band or flounce to the bottom! No way I'd pitch something that looks that good.

    ReplyDelete
  19. it looks wearable to me too - rather than throwing it away could you donate it to a charity shop or something?
    party video

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ooh, I like it. I agree, though, I like the look of the empire waist under a shorter jacket. On it's own, it's a bit too baby-dollish.
    Cute!

    ReplyDelete