Friday, January 29, 2010

More acquired sewing paraphernalia

Yesterday morning I bustled around the house in somewhat of a panic. It was already almost 9 and I hadn't gotten the kids in the van yet. We were suppose to leave at 8:45 to make Jo-Ann's opening time of 9 for the first day of $3.99 Vogues. When I drove into the parking lot, I scrutinized the other people parking and walking into the shopping area. I hurried the kids inside - well, it was raining, in my defense - and headed straight to the pattern drawers. There was no one remotely close by, and probably only 3 or 4 other customers in the store. I felt a little sheepish but got every pattern on my list. Hey, I really love these designs!

Hunting through the stash I pulled this red embroidered silk shantung for V1157. I'm trying to picture it made up and am hoping it won't be overly dressy looking.

Then I pulled these two stripes for V1158. I don't know if I have enough of the silk on the left, and am thinking the stripes might be a little too wide. Then I'd have to find the perfect color to match for the bias bands, and it almost certainly couldn't be found in silk. The white linen blend on the right might work better. I'd do the bias binding in yellow or some other bright color. Hmm, still thinking about that one.

The other patterns I have no current plans for. But check out my new fabrics from Denverfabrics.com. Recently I wrote that I've been stalking their website, waiting for new knits. They finally got some in and were immediately put on sale for $3.95/yard. There were a few other fabrics on sale that I purchased at the same time, mostly wool.

On the left is a gorgeous wool double knit in turquoise. It is incredibly soft and just the perfect weight. I'm kicking myself for not buying a few other colors since it is now completely sold out. Next to it is a royal blue matte jersey. I'm currently in love with that color blue. The next three are ITY knits that I liked the colors and patterns of. The blue matte jersey is the only one I have concrete plans for.

These other two didn't even make it out of the box. The blue is a wool jersey that is so thin I can see my hand through it. The color is beautiful, but I just can't warrant spending $12.50/yard for thin T-shirt material. The other is a burgundy wool knit, the same type Lindsay T just did a post about. She described it as French Terry, and I've got to agree. Blah! It is being sent back. I usually have really great luck with Denverfabrics. This is only the second time I've had to send something back.

Anyway, still plugging away at Vogue 8480, and I'm actually enjoying myself. Hopefully my sewing slump has passed.

14 comments:

  1. I'm hoping to get out to Joann's tonight, but it might not be til tomorrow. :(

    I bought the same wool sweater fabric and while it's not what I was expecting, it thankfully works well for another dress that I've been eyeing. We'll see how it works out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought about 10 patterns from the BMV sale. I can't wait to see what you make. I think the red is perfect and the striped dress will look great out of your stripe. i always enjoy seeing what you make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Headed there tonite... if hubby ever gets home! Great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so funny - I ran to JoAnns from work at lunch and there were tons of people going through the patterns - I did get the three I wanted - two vintage vogues - and I was lucky. On one - I bought a size down, and it turns out that pattern (from the reviewers) runs totally large - hurray! Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am about to sew my "French terry." It is going to be a weekend sweater, hopefully perfect for our trip to Florida next month. But "bleh" is right. Love that Vogue wrap top; bought that one too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay I LOL at the hustling the kids into the store and hurrying over to the pattern cabinets...boy does that bring back memories! Glad you got the patterns you wanted!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL... I wish I could've gotten there right away! They didn't have the pattern I wanted the most! But it does make me wonder who that person was who did buy it- I want to meet her! She must be cool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The new patterns seem very popular with a lot of us, I'm looking forward to seeing all the versions come to life in blogland!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the red shantung will be absolutely beautiful with the pattern you've chosen.

    I smile when I remember dragging my daughter out of the house to go fabric shopping. Thanks for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your red silk shantung, and the V1157 pattern! It's very-very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. When my sister brings her kids to the fabric store, her oldest complains: "Mommy stays here too long." I had to laugh, do your kids say the same thing?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those knits look fantastic, and I can't wait to see the dress in the embroidered shantung. That will be a show-stopper!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your selection of patterns.. My favorite is the Tracy Reese 1158.I can't to make that one..

    ReplyDelete