Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Newlook 6669 - Polka-dot top with navy bow detail

Yes, you read that correctly. This top has a bow. I'm really not the cutesy-cutesy bow type. I made it first with just the ribbon but it was kind of plain. This is the last of my summer sewing. Sorry my picture looks fuzzy. (Oddly enough I made it to match these navy capris but wore them so much this summer they've faded. Does anyone know a good way to dye navy clothing? I've tried Rite (sp?) dye but it just ends up coming out in subsequent washings.) Here's the back view:

The only problem I had was getting the underarm zipper to lay smoothly. But that's human error, no flaw from the pattern. The neckline is a bit open. When I make this again I plan to bring the entire neckline in. As it is I have to wear a strapless and make sure I don't do any bending over in front of people. I love the puff sleeves and the sleeve band is cut on the bias so it doesn't choke my arm. However, I have to be sure to do my hair before I put this on because I can't raise my arms over my head.

This was an easy little top. I also like the sleeveless and the long sleeve versions so most likely will be making this again.

8 comments:

  1. This top is so cute. What kind of fabric did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Teka, it's a "simply silky" from Jo-Ann's. It's silky but not super slippery and was easy to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your top is really cute. I've had similar experiences with some NL pattern where I don't have full range of motion. I thought it was more me than it being the pattern drafting. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty blouse. I have had the same problem with having limited movement of my arms with rtw blouses from the Loft... so don't feel bad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful top! It reminds me of a BWOF top I made recently!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know that this is a totally "old post".... but just so you know... after you dye something... if b/4 you dry it... you do a vinegar set... it will keep the colors stable. What you do is after you have done the dyeing, let it drain (you want to make sure that you have the least amount of water you can (I do mine in the washer), and then add 1-2 cups of vinegar. Let it set for 1/2 hour or longer... and then rinse as usual in cold water. And dry per normal. It sets the dye. This works for brand new clothes that you buy and are afraid will run onto other clothes also! If you don't want to do it in your washer... do it in the sink/or/big pot! Let it sit for however long... at least 1/2 hour and your done!

    ReplyDelete