This blouse is the first in a handful of pink & gray coordinates I have planned for fall. I originally bought the pattern for the collared view, but decided I really liked the vintage feel of the neck tie and peek-a-boo front. This fabric was found amongst the remnant fabrics at JoAnn's sometime last year. It's some kind of thin, crinkled polyester with a very tight weave that made handsewing a real chore. I loved the pink on pink polka dots and texture of it.
Being a remnant fabric, I was only able to purchase 1 1/3 yards. The pattern calls for 1 5/8, so I'm pretty proud of myself for fitting all the pattern pieces in. However, I did have to change the sleeves to NewLook 6615 (now out of print) that I have used previously for this dress and the sleeves of this dress. They are way less poofy then the Butterick and took less fabric. I also had to shorted the ties a few inches, not that you can tell a difference.
I decided to take a 5/8" rolled hem at the bottom to give it a bit more length, as it will be worn tucked in.
Instead of using four 5/8" buttons as the pattern calls for, I opted for six 7/16" covered buttons and spaced them closer together. The covered buttons blend in well with the fabric, which I feel is important when using a polka dot.
Here on the inside you can see my typical use of bias tape along the front facings, empire seam and sleeve seams. Being a crinkled fabric, the empire seam did stretch out a bit, especially along the back. So when I applied the bias tape, I stretched it a little along the back to get rid of that problem.
French seams were used for the lower princess, shoulder and sleeve seams.
Here you can see how nicely this pink pairs with gray and even prints. I used the same skirt from my last jacket post, and forgot to mention it was made by me as well, last winter.
Up next is another lined jacket. I'm off to trace it after I fold a little laundry. Have a fabulous week!