Sunday, February 8, 2009

Simplicity 2758 - Gray skirt w/ white topstitching

This is one of several garments made while my boys were off in west Texas with their grandparents. It is a simple design and I had zero fit issues, but all that precise white running-stitch really slowed me down. Completely worth it, though, IMO. This skirt has a front pleat and little pleated patch pockets, which totally sold me on the pattern.

I made this skirt to match this blouse, but while wearing the outfit to church this morning, I dribbled coffee all down the front. *Sigh.* This is what I call having an "Amanda moment". So you're seeing it paired with a super plain white blouse and my not-so-plain new pink pumps.

This design also features the running-stitch around the hem. Twice. That might look really cute, but I was D-O-N-E after the waistband and pockets. The waistband closes at the side and has an invisible zipper.

In this close-up you can see the white stitching and pockets better. The pattern directions have you topstitch the pockets to the skirt. I did that but it was distracting with all that other white stitching. So I sewed them invisibly by hand to the skirt instead. I love how the front pleat starts lower on the body and doesn't begin right under the waistband.

Here's a few close-up. This is the invisible zipper:

I added a full lining. When I cut the lining fabric, I decided to omit the pleat since it's purely decorative. I also attached the white running-stitch to the front side of the waistband only, so that it wouldn't show on the inside of the skirt. You know how I prefer neat insides and such. :)

I made view E, pictured on the bottom right side. I also love the white blouse they've paired it with, so might be making that one of these days.

26 comments:

  1. Love it! And I really dig the topstitching. I started some on a boring wrap skirt I made but gave up on it. You have inspired me to keep going :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great skirt, the topstitching really adds to this skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this skirt. Great job with topstitching. Looks very nice on you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great piece. Love the topstitching - done by hand?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That skirt is beautiful and the whole outfit looks fantastic. I love the shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is such a cute skirt. I absolutely love the topstitch detail.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous skirt, the topstitching is yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great skirt - the topstitching adds a certain je ne sais quoi!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you had a productive week. The skirt is adorable! I love the stitching. It looks easy but I know how hard it is to get it exact!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute skirt! Can't wait to see the rest of your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great skirt and I love the topstitching!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Amanda,
    another stunning creation from you! It looks classy and modern at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amanda, this skirt is adorable! Love it. Great job, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful skirt! Great job with the top stitching very neat. What kind of fabric did you use and did you do the top stitching by hand or by machine?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cute outfit! I have this pattern, too and I can't wait to get started on it. All your creations are so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The skirt is fabulous and luv the topstitching.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was suppose to make the same skirt this weekend, but ended out opting for one that I already had traced! Yours looks great1

    ReplyDelete
  18. Another stunning creation! I love it with the white topstitching!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Both pieces are beautifully made.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the top stitching! Those pockets look amazing, too. Hmm... maybe I'll have to try that sometime soon...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great skirt. Looks great on you. Love the topstitching.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The topstitching is what takes this skirt from drab to fab. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your work is beautiful - I love the running stitch. Thanks for sharing your meticulous work - quite inspiring, to me, a perfectionist without the experience in sewing - yet. Question: do you ever make a muslin? Or do you just tweak as you go?

    ReplyDelete
  24. This skirt is adorable! I love the topstitching and the pockets!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Super cute!! love the topstitching and the pockets!!

    ReplyDelete