Oops! I know I wrote about all the completed projects from last week I had to post here. This week has been super busy for some reason. We were suddenly out of everything, including pants for my 4 year old that didn't have holes in the knees. So I've been running here and there purchasing things... But here's my new blouse!
It's a simple wrap top made of stretch satin from Jo-Anne's. I really love the fabric and was excited to see this blouse in the October issue of BWOF (Burda World of Fashion), also made from stretch satin. The front is cut on the bias giving it some lovely drape. Here you can see the invisible side zip:
And the other side with the gathers:
I so enjoyed making this blouse. I had zero fit issues, the fabric was a dream to work with, and everything went together smoothly. Plus, since it has some stretch to it, it's very comfortable.
Okay, here's a few detail shots. As you probably know by now, I like the bias tape. I couldn't find a light gray to match the background, but I thought this fuchsia/red matched pretty well. This is the inside neckline and facings.
This is the shoulder seam. I did french seams here and more bias tape around the armhole seam:
At the bottom hem I also used bias tape. I usually don't do this, but since in the front there were two layers of bias cut fabric, it would have been too bulky to do my usual turned under invisible hem. Plus the bias tape kept the fabric from stretching out while I stitched the hem. I used gray thread for the top and fuchsia/red for the bobbin. That way the gray showed through (barely) on the front hemline but the bias tape didn't have gray stitching showing on the inside. Here you can also see the side french hem.
Here's the sleeve hem. This is what I usually do, turning under the edge so there's no exposed raw fabric that needs to be finished.
Here's the line drawing:
You might notice my blouse wraps in the other direction. This is because after I'd cut it out, I noticed some marks on the right front of the fabric. That problem was easily solved by sewing the left side on top instead of the right.
I intended to wear this blouse with a matching gray skirt. I started this skirt last week with the intention of having it completed last weekend. I'm having fit issue upon fit issue with this dumb thing. I want to wave the white flag of defeat, but I just purchased this fabric so the cost is fresh on my mind. And I think the style is cute with that side ruffle and inverted pleat at the bottom. So I might just set it aside and come back to it in the fall. Which is something I never do. Once I start a project, I follow through until it's either completed or in the wadder pile.
Anyhow, I have a sweater completed that I need to have photographed. I guess I'll get around to that on Saturday. Have a great weekend!