Monday, October 13, 2008

V8461 Turquoise jacket / S4086 Brown & turquoise floral skirt

Okay, I'm hereby admitting that I have a weakness for the brown and turquoise color combination. This floral has been in my stash for at least a year, if not more. I love it, but didn't have much of it, so I decided to make it into a skirt and needed a top or jacket to match. Vogue 8461 is what I came up with. It's simple and fitted with a fun oversized collar. Here's the back:

If I had to make this again, I would use a thicker fabric. But that turquoise wasn't easy to match so I went with what I could find. The pattern calls for snaps, but I feel a little uncomfortable wearing a jacket by itself with only a couple snaps holding it up. (This brings to mind a red dress my mother made for my sister, Elisa, that was closed with Velcro. There was a slight fiasco with that dress coming open at the bus stop...) Anywho, I decided to add some buttons. I did the full lining in chocolate brown. Might as well match the skirt, right?

The sleeves have darts at the elbows. Here you can see the sleeve lining slip-stitched to the sleeve.

I made the view in gray, with 3/4 sleeves.

Okay, about this skirt... My gut instinct was to make it a bias skirt with a little elastic waist. Did I listen to my gut? No, I did not. I had a cute new pattern, NewLook 6593, and I thought I'd try it out on the fabric I love that I've saved for over a year without first making a muslin. Very dumb idea. Here's a picture of the offensive pattern:

It turned out looking like a shapeless sack. If you have this pattern consider yourself warned. But I'd already made the jacket and loved the floral. I went combing through my pattern stash, looking for something I could save the fabric with. I found Simplicity 4086, now out of print, but that I had made before and knew wouldn't turn into another shapeless garment. I took the first skirt apart and used 1/4" seam allowances. Here's that pattern:

I made the top left view, minus the tie belt and belt loops, and shorter. And phew! It turned out looking cute. Here's a view of the top of the skirt you can't see in the outfit photo:

Here's a view of the full lining:

And here's the very tiny hem:

And oh, yes, Simplicity 2858 has died. The brocade with butterflies was very pretty, but had the same 4 butterflies repeated again and again. I should have chosen a simpler design without princess seams or perhaps paid better attention during cut-out. The good news is that I got it for super cheap and didn't invest much sewing time before I realized it wasn't looking good.

10 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous outfit - the jacket fits you perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful outfit! The fit of your jacket is incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your skill and attention to detail never cease to amaze me!!! beautiful.

    question - what in the world do you wear on the average day? :) you are making so many beautiful things and i wonder just how far behind i am as a 'fellow' at home mom? i have to admit i have shlumped it for FAR too long but have come a LONG way in the last year. still, where do you wear all of the beautiful outfits you are making? :)

    hj

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely combo! You're really a busy bee lately, churning out one project after the other.
    The blue jacket is lovely, as is the skirt and the Vogue 1020 dress - really like the anmimal print. Have to admit though, that I have a slight weakness for it myself :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look STUNNING in that beautiful outfit! (and you're not the only one having a weakness for the brown and turquoise color combination; I really love it!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Heidi,
    Most of the dressier things I wear only to church, which does mean they don't see a lot of wear. That's why I try to stay away from trendy looks in dressy clothing. I tried really hard to make casual clothing this past summer, and had a very difficult time. If it's got a lining and a little difficulty, it usually turns out better for me then something simple. Plus I just love getting dressed up. But on a typical day I like to wear fitted tops and denum bottoms. I have two pairs of jean shorts that hit right below my knee that I wore the heck out of this past summer. During colder months I can usually be spotted in jeans or casual pants. I'm not a fan of printed T-shirts, sweats, elastic waists, or all-day pj's. My thinking is if you feel good about how you look you take better care of yourself. I do want to make some knit dresses for next spring/summer. They are so cute and really very cool, a must have for Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look great. Everything you make really shows a high attention to detail.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a beautiful outfit Amanda! Love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great outfit like all the rest. It's always a enjoy visiting your blog. You are a talented, creative inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super cute! You must be a super fast sewer! i am so slow to the point that sometimes I lose interest in the garment..or maybe it is patience? With that being said, I am learning that I like more complex items. I feel the same way about sewing dressy items. Anytime I try something simple it turns out homemade looking or don't wear it. I am just learning the underlining, bias tape over seam thing...it does make a difference when the insides look like the outside! thanks for teaching me this trick!

    ReplyDelete