Sunday, August 17, 2008

Newlook 6717 - Blue dress w/ lower flounce & green piping

This pattern is OOP (out of print) but I love the fit and style. I bought coordinating green fabric and made my own piping for the first time. It's a lot of work but I really like the way it turned out. Here's a close up of the neckline:

Here's the back view:

When using piping I taper it down at the underarm seam and where it meets the zipper. This ensures that it stays upright and reduces bulk:

Here's the inside armhole. Even though I added a full lining, I had to use the facings because of the piping:

I made view B. This is a simple pattern that I'm sure I'll use again.

Here's my shoes. The Rockport brand is so comfortable!

By the way, I must admit that this isn't the most recent addition to my wardrobe. I'm having a terrible few months of sewing. I really tried this summer to make casual clothes, but for some reason I have a way easier time making dressy garments. If it is complicated and has a lining it usually turns out wonderfully. I have wasted so much money and time with nothing to show for it but a pile of wadders. Anyone in my boat???

9 comments:

  1. Amanda, your dress is soooo pretty & feminine!! AND binding, too! You've got LOTS to show for your sewing!! And, I'm sure you've learned lots from your boo-boo's, too!!
    Enjoy the process!!
    Soft hug,
    Rhonda in Montreal (PR)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi my name is Monique and I am a wadder-holic. I have been making wadders for about 2 months now with the hope of finding a cure soon.

    Well, they say 28 days to break a habit so here is to breaking the wadder habit in record time....starting now

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like you have had some real wadders of late. I am hoping that my latest attempt will not turn out that way. I also seem to have the best success with more complicated items than the simplier ones I have worked on of late.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your dress and the details are beautiful!
    I, too, have seen alot of wadders around here lately. Sometimes you just have to make them and get it out of your system!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I am in your boat...i posted today about my misfit sundresses that ended up bathing suit coverups. Maybe we take more care and time with fancier items? I don't get it...your dress is absolutely beautiful. I love the piping detail! cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable Amanda! And it looks fabulous on you. You always add the nicest touches! I love the kimono top too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks much better than the pattern pictures. I would have passed this dress over simply looking at the packet, but I am envious of the one you are wearing. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete