Tuesday, July 15, 2008

McCall's 5378 - Red & white striped shirtdress

Since my current project is taking forever to get finished, let me show you one of the dresses I made a few months ago for spring. Every girl needs a shirtdress in her closet, right?

Oh no, could it be? Not another puff sleeve! I told you I'm currently in love with them. In this photo you can really see the fabric better. It's a cotton with some texture but not a seersucker. I thought it would really show off the design of this dress with the horizontal yokes and sleeve bands. However, the stripe is a bit small. Oh, and DH calls it my "candy-striper" dress. Men!

I am also not extremely fond of tie belts. I starched the ends of this one but it still looks a little limp to me. I actually bought a red belt to go with it, but because of the button placement, I don't like the way it looks. I love the red belt, though, and was glad for an excuse to buy one. Here's a picture of the back:

Conclusion: It's an OK dress, but really not my favorite. A bit plain for my taste. It might have really popped with a bigger stripe. I think I really liked it because the picture of it is done in a yellow stripe. I LOVE yellow! See the girl in the yellow - dress A? Doesn't she look cute and hip? I think this is one of those rare occasions when the picture on the pattern outshines the finished product.

7 comments:

  1. very cute... love hubby's comment too. funny guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello from a former San Antonian. I love this dress! It looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute dress! My DH likes to nickname my stuff too, ha ha... And as for the envelope illustration, I prefer the "live models" to the "animations". Seems like the final product is a closer match.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's adorable!
    I'm wondering if I can pull off a shrtdress...

    ReplyDelete
  5. The fit is great, maybe you should make another..!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I am also not extremely fond of tie belts. I starched the ends of this one but it still looks a little limp to me."
    Hi!! There's a notion available at your sewing centre that will "help your belt". 'Don't know what it's called ;( but it comes in different widths & stiffness. It's to make belts with... You could just open one end of your belt & "slip it in", eh...
    Warm greetings,
    Rhonda in Montreal (PR)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I think this is adorable on you! Great fit, and LOL at hubby's candystriper comment. MEN!

    ReplyDelete