Wednesday, July 13, 2011

New fall Vogues!

Oh goody, new patterns to drool over! Vogue's designs are by far my favorite. They are often complicated and challenging, with interesting tucks and drapes and other delicious details. And having a pattern with a high-end designer name is really starting to appeal to me, whereas I never use to care about such things.

This first dress is a Tracy Reese design. I love all the gathers, the interesting bodice, the fun exposed zipper, and the beautiful way the straps attach to the back. If I could rip this very dress right off the envelope and hang it in my closet I'd be one happy lady. I'm not sure why this is a fall pattern, seeing as it's sleeveless and has an exposed back, but I'll take it just the same.
This next dress from Anne Klein is really beautiful in the magazine, but did not photograph well here at all. It is made in a glen plaid fabric and the bodice is tucked in such a way that the bottom is straight grain and up towards the neckline it's on the bias. That little dark spot in the front is actually a cutout, and the collar is bias cut and doubled and stands away slightly from the shoulders. Plus is has sleeves! I cannot wait to see what the pattern pieces look like.

V1254

Here's a picture of the drawing so you can see what an interesting neckline it has:

I can't decide what I think of this next dress from Badgley Mischka. The color is gorgeous, and I don't know if I'm drawn in by that or by the design. It's for a knit, so I'm guessing they left the front ruffle unhemmed. Finding the right jewels to add to the waist might be hard, and I'm wondering if they give you any instructions for making that part. Anyway, I'm still undecided about it, but I find the design unique and interesting.

V1256

This top and skirt combo from Donna Karan took my breath away when I first saw it on the cover. I am already thinking of a maroon knit in my stash slated for another dress that could be reassigned to this pattern. I LOVE it. The only thing I'd do differently is raise the hemline of the skirt a few inches, but that's just personal preference.

V1259

These asymmetrical hemline tops have been around for awhile now, and I've never been tempted by them. However, I saw a lady wearing one the other day and it was so cute and flattering on her. This pattern adds in some fun details - exposed seaming and raw edge finishing. This view has raglan sleeves and a really pretty neckline. I like it. It's effortless style and perfect for a mom-on-the-go.

V1261

Finally there's this simple knit dress with ruching along the sides of the center panel. The back has princess seaming as well with a little zipper just at the neckline. It's for a knit and has sleeves. (I'm a big fan of sleeved dresses in the fall and winter, in case you don't know.) It's pretty and easy to just throw on with some boots and look put together.

So those are my picks. I would have enjoyed seeing an intricate jacket pattern and some separates with more details, but these are gorgeous designs and I'm not complaining!

17 comments:

  1. We have 3 faves in common :) I had a close look at Vogue 1256 and was surprised to find out that that ruffle IS hemmed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda, I'm with you on the hem of the Donna Karan...if you've got nice knees (I do) then flaunt 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in love with the first dress and can't wait to try it. Where I live summer lasts till October so I may just do it in brown or a fallish print. I think I like the blue dress as well though I'm not sure about it either. I'm also itching to try the top. I bought a shirt with that type of hemline last year and was quite pleased with they way it looked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I kind of felt the same way about the lack of a jacket, but I guess the drapey ones are in and tailored is out. I feel the same way about the cover ensemble and will be stalking JoAnns to get my hands on the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the 2nd one a lot, the third and fourth I like as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aren't those designs just all the rave? I wish I had a fancy occasion coming up so I could wear one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am looking forward to seeing your versions of these, especially the first one. I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have a good taste in patterns! I love them all, but they seem so business casual, but on the other hand it's Vouge we are talking about!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The BM dress has too much of a late an early '90s vibe for my taste, but the others are gorgeous choices!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was waiting to see what patterns you chose - I didn't notice that Anne Klein dress but now that I see it, it has great potential as a winter dress. I really like the last one V8742, I was just going to make a knit dress but I think I will hold on until I get that pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the V1256 but think the pleated shoulder/bust area and center front is stunning and focal enough without the slit sleeve detail. The sleeves are a negative in my opinion, the rest of the dress is terrific and would be suitable for the well endowed as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My favourite is V1254.

    When I saw Donna Karan top and skirt on Vogue website yesterday I immediately thought of you. These garments are yours.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the heads up! I really like the Anne Klein design.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Isn't it always the way, that we like garments better when we have seen them "in action"? I love to read sewing blogs -- we all have such different tastes. (Am older enough than you, and plumper enough than you, that I rarely pick the same patterns as do you.) Have boxes of patterns that looked good in the book but dreadful in real life. Still, I hang on to them, for nostalgia. Some have come back into style after 20 years, and I see nearly identical views in today's pattern books.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh these dresses are all gorgeous, I hope Vogue patterns go on sale so I can stock up!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello...I'd love to make V1254 - attending a wedding in September. Would you ever consider making an outfit in slow motion?? ie. post pics along with explanations along the way so I (and hopefully others out there) could copy your techniques? You are the best I've seen re attention to detail. I do have a serger for my edges but have never learned to sew as you do and it's about time I learned from the best!...Thanks...Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  17. The edges are not left unhemmed.They are done by a serger rolled hem

    ReplyDelete