Monday, January 24, 2011

Vogue 1170 - Hot pink wool Rachel Comey skirt

Now I know why I left all my winter skirts to the end - I like my clothing to be fitted and didn't want to sew any more garments that wouldn't fit right when I got finished with them. Whoops. I must have thought I was totally back to my pre-pregnancy weight, because it was a total surprise that this skirt didn't fit. It is horribly tight and I look like a stuffed sausage in it. But look, it fits Her Highness, so it is sure to fit me. Soon.

This is a hot pink wool crepe purchased in early fall from Fabricmartfabrics.com. I love bright colors for winter clothing. They make me feel so cheerful and hopeful for spring weather. I was drawn to this design because of the interesting construction lines and fitted/flared shape. However, it was only 17" long out of the envelope, so I added 2" to the length.

The side back panel does not sit right at the side, which bugs me slightly. If I make this again in a lighter fabric for summer, the pattern pieces will be adjusted so that the sides are actually at the sides. Although if you stare at the pattern picture long enough, you will see that the same thing is happening on the example skirt as well.


One of my favorite things about this pattern is the curved hem facing. I opted not to interface mine because I didn't want the skirt to stick out at the hem and my fabric has a lot of body. I whip-stitched the bias finished facing by hand to the skirt body so it would be totally invisible. Plus I just like doing a bit of hand sewing.

I thought the waistband a little too wide so I cut mine down a bit. It is still really wide, though. You can see here that I added a hot pink lining.

For the hem of the lining I ran a gathering stitch close to the edge to pull in the extra fabric. Then I made a simple 5/8" double folded hem.

I love it and am hoping it fits before the weather gets too warm to wear a wool skirt.

This past week was a very frustrating one for me and sewing. At one point I cried to my husband, "I hate to sew!!!", which he greeted with a skeptical look. You've had those weeks, right? When you wish you didn't have such a passion for fabrics and patterns and could just throw in the towel and resign yourself to endless shopping at the mall for what you want. Sigh. I'm hoping this week will be more fun.

35 comments:

  1. Oh I love it. The pink is so bright and fun. I think wearing a skirt like this would make me want to dance all day. Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful skirt!! The color is wonderful. I can sympathize with the size frustration. Little Rachel is a few months older than my little guy, but between breastfeeding and baby weight I have no idea what size to sew these days. I've been cheating by using lots of knits. I hope your mojo returns. You do such beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous skirt and what a wonderful colour for winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty color! I made this one in a dark olive stretch denim - very comfy. It's one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I *never* think of hot pink, but this is gorgeous! I have also never done a pretty faced hem like you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a really cute, flippy skirt! I love bright colors in winter, also. That skirt will fit you right this minute with a pair of Spanx!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun skirt and beautifully made as always, I hope you can get to wear it soon and feel good about sewing again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is sooo beautiful! So perfectly constructed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the pink, great skirt.
    and shopping for clothes ? no way! not when you can sew as you do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well I'm sorry it doesn't fit right now. It's a great skirt! Hopefully you can wear it before too long.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a very nice skirt. I'm impressed with all your creations always perfectley done. I hope your "mojo" will be back soon. Also, I have a little question : Do you have a "secret" to realize perfect invible zipper ? It is the first time that I leave a comment beacause I'm a french canadian (from Québec) and my english is not very good... (sorry for my mistake)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow... the color is fantastic! Hehe.. I love hot pink! Hopefully you'll be able to wear it soon enough. I sort of felt like giving up on sewing this weekend too when I made a skirt too small. I did go to the mall to look around and then realized I wasn't interested in shopping either so back to sewing it is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is so cute, it somehow manages to be detailed and simple at the same time. Good job:).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another great piece from you, just wanted to thank you for beautiful close up pictures! Much appreciated, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know that feeling of not enjoying sewing. But when you come up with a lovely garment like that it makes it worthwhile. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on completing the skirt. The color is great.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The skirt is beautiful. Such a happy addition for the winter. I love that shirt as well...did you make it?

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so gorgeous. Hot pink is the perfect colour for this hot style skirt. It's very 'you'. Although the fit isn't right just now, very soon it will be and you're going to look sensational it it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG this skirt is GORGEOUS!

    They should put yours on the pattern envelope, because I would have never given it a second glance.

    WOW! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This skirt is sooo cute and the color hot, hot, hot! I absolutely love the styling lines of this design, great choices!!

    OMG, I've had a lot of those weeks where I look at having sewing experience as a "CURSE"!! You get soooo frustrated you don't want to do it anymore, but when you get to the store, you see something you can make a lot cheaper, you won't buy it and you're committed to sewing again!! I just accept the frustration and move on to the next project because I know I will anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the lines of this skirt! It is a beautiful color, and has a nice drape!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is a beautiful skirt!!! I had such a terrible week one time sewing that I literally packed up my sewing machine, fabric, and notions and put them all away. I had quit, but I started back the next day. We all have those weeks sometimes. I am learning that when I start messing things up, I just need to take a break for a week or two.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Super cute skirt! I love the color and the top you paired with it. Cute. Cute. cute.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have definitely had those moments, when I feel like I'm pressuring myself to do something that, really, I could easily take care of in a short amount of time in a store. But in the end, I'd rather shop for fabric than clothes so I save my money for sewing. Love the skirt! I am impressed with your precision--it looks like similar lines to the Rachel Comey open back dress, which I did not find easy to put together.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is fabulous. You did a really quality job constructing it.

    I made this pattern's top last year, and have been considering making the skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is so beautiful! It will fit before you know it, I have no doubt! What kind of lining did you use? I'm such a horrible line-r. I can never find anything I like or the right color or that isn't crappy acetate something. (The perils of living in the MIDDLE OF NOWHERE!)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love the color. It's a lot easier to see the interesting seams in a lighter or brighter color. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Amanda! I love this skirt, great pattern and great color! I need to add it to my wish list. Thanks for the inspiration. I still have that Vogue dress pattern available if you want it. Please email. Rosalia

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm 7 mo postpartum and am hating the body flux. I hit the baseline weight months ago, but my waist is 4" larger than it used to be.

    You will get there, give it time.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful outfit screaming spring! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Fantastic skirt. Love the pattern lines and the color is gorgeous. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  32. That color is hot! I'm sure by now, you're already back in it. :)

    ReplyDelete