Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Kwik Sew 3755 - Progress report

Last night I sat down with my pattern and did a bunch of tracing/drafting. I'm having to transition from an x-small on top to a small through the hips, and that took some figuring. Keep in mind all of the tiers on this dress and the fact that I'm adding tiers to the back. I had planned on telling you exactly what I did, but I got confused several times and had to erase and redraft. So, if you are wanting to make this out of a knit with the above changes, you are on your own. Sorry. Here are my finished pattern pieces.

Tonight I cut out the top 2 tiers both front and back, as well as the top ruffles. Here's how it looks so far - not too bad, right? (And before you get all excited, yes, I did finally receive my custom dress form after 3 months of waiting/pestering the manufacturer about it. I was all set to do a blog post with all the details until I noticed she has no butt. Yes, after all that waiting, there was some miscommunication/misunderstanding of his thick accent, and she arrived derriere-less. So, the manufacturer is making me another form - with a butt - and I am holding this one hostage until it arrives in the mail.)

Okay, back to the dress. It was fine from the front but very gappy under the arm. This is when having a dress form is super useful. I was able to pin the dress to her to check fit, something I would never be able to do to my own body. If I pinch out just a little under the arm, I get a great fit. Oh, and I need not make the ruffles 1" wider as that is messing up the vertical line of the knit. SO, I will be recutting these pieces tomorrow as well as the rest of the dress. I think the hard work is now over and the rest of it should go together quickly.

In other news, I currently have an unpleasant and persistent cough that has made going to sleep at night very difficult. Every time I start to nod off I am racked with coughs. Today I bought a humidifier to hopefully relieve some of the dryness that is tickling my throat. I really need a good nights sleep. The middle of the night is a lonely and depressing time to be awake and tired.

8 comments:

  1. I know exactly how you feel re the cough - hope yours gets better - that dress form looks interesting - hope you get the bum soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry about your cough - right before I left for Virginia I had a bad cold coming on and somehow it left me quickly but I have a very dry throat at night - I am thinking a humidifier would not be bad. . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had that cough! Oh, it's dreadful. Humidifier is good, as are lozenges (I like Ricola), Robitussin DM, and water to drink. I keep a nonspill water bottle (Camelbak) next to (or in) the bed to immediate soothe the cough. Also, try sleeping slightly propped up - if you have postnasal drip, it can irritate the airways when you're horizontal and cause more coughing (for me, I hardly coughed during the day but began coughing as soon as I lay down).

    When my girl was but a wee infant, after several nights of waking up 2-3 times to breastfeed and a million times to cough, I broke down in tears with my doctor and begged her for something that would allow me to sleep and function like a semi-normal person when awake. She wrote me a prescrip for Robitussin + codeine, and I fed the baby previously pumped milk while I was taking it. It was a miracle drug for me, I finally was able to sleep again.

    I'm preg again right now and have just relived that persistent coughing a few weeks ago; my OB prescribed an albuterol inhaler. I only used it a couple times, not sure how effective it was for me.

    Sorry to go on and on, but I've had THAT COUGH several times since having my first child, I think I've tried every remedy in the book! Hope you find a solution - and some rest! - very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad I'm not the only one that forgets what she has done to pattern pieces to get them to work out right. :)

    I hope the cough gets better and that you can get some sleep tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, good luck with that dress form, and hope you feel better soon!

    Have you checked out the sewing links at www.WeAllSew.com yet? Lots of great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where did you purchase her Amanda? Is it worth the wait and fuss? Also, did you find another retailer who does customs? I've missed you while I was away!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A sleepless night is such a nuisance. I hope you find something to relieve that cough.

    How nice to have a custom dress form.I am also curious where you ordered her from? I'm sure after all is said and done, and you get the right one she will be a wonderful asset to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Amanda, I just started following your blog because I saw that you were making the tiered dress from the Kwik Sew pattern #3755. Have you finished it?

    I want to make this dress for my daughter and would appreciate any tips, etc. What kind of fabric did you use?

    Thanks,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete