I totally removed the back seams from the upper bodice, bodice band and bottom bodice. What was the point of having them? I simply cut the upper and lower backs on a fold and altered the band piece by cutting it into a front and a back band. The back of this has darts, something I rarely see on knits. But it fits really well and I'm thinking I may need to make this again in a sleeveless version or dress even.
I'm not sure what Burda instructs you to do for the front. I'm sure it's a facing of some sort. My motto is don't read the instructions unless you totally can't figure it out on your own. This top was very simple so I just did my own thing. Here at the neckline I used bias tape to finish it. I like using bias tape in knits because it has a little stretch but really helps knits not stretch out. And there's no facing to flip up and annoy.
I used french seams for the shoulders and side seams and more bias tape to enclose the sleeve to bodice seam.
Here you can see the side seams and the inside band. It is not interfaced and simply slipstitched down.
Burda pattern - $80/12/6 (6 is the amount of patterns I plan to make from this issue): $1.11
1 3/8 yards zebra knit: $6.88
bias tape: $0.80
grand total $9.79 give or take
I'm currently working on a simple dress in more purple but the fabric is kicking my butt. It has a huge repeating print that I didn't notice when I bought it but that I now feel compelled to try to match up. The front sleeves and bodice are bias cut so in order to match up the pattern perfectly I starched the fabric. It then bleed onto the muslin fabric I starched it on top of. And I need more fabric for the front skirt portion but am waiting to buy it until I see how the bodice turns out. SO, I am not sure it's even going to be completed. Keep your fingers crossed!