This jacket is part of a dress suit from Vogue 2865, made in early 2006. I've always loved the jacket but never had anything to go with it other than the matching dress. I decided to make a little shell to go underneath so it could be worn with other separates. I've made this top before in a winter white and always liked the fit of it.
Since it fit so well before, I didn't even bother to check the measurements. I cut it out cross grain so that the lines of sequins would run vertically. It is much stretchier from top to bottom than side to side, thus resulting in a much more snug fit. Annoying! Oh well, it is to be worn under the jacket after all.
I bought this narrow sequined knit years ago, and only had 7/8 yard. I waited and waited to find the perfect pattern to pair it with. I could have easily cut it wider, thus the annoyance. Okay, moving on. This time around the side gathers are actually noticeable. I did gathers on the front shoulder seam instead of pleats, same as last time.
I love this pattern. There are only two pieces, and it goes together quickly.
I used bias tape for the neck and arm facings. Those sequins would be really scratchy with a doubled hem as per the instructions. French seams were used for the minimal 4 seams.
I've completed a long sleeve knit dress but lost the light this evening for pictures. My photographer has been sneezing non-stop for the last 2 days and will probably need some convincing tomorrow. Poor thing. I guess I'll go rescue him from the kids. Happy New Year!