I had to sew one final sleeve on the morning we left for west Texas, but I did get it done. This reminded me of a certain someone I grew up with that was always finishing her sewing projects right before we had to be somewhere. But I won't name names.
I completely love the design of this dress. V-necks elongate the body (according to Stacy and Clinton) and tummy ruching hides a multitude of sins. I don't care how thick or thin you feel, every woman, especially those who've had babies, appreciates some camouflage in that area.
The fabric is a thin polyester knit bought from Gorgeousfabrics.com last fall. I was waiting for the perfect fabric for this pattern that I've had in the stash forever. It needed to be a pretty thin fabric for all that gathering to remain flattering. I also thought the floral pattern of this cut small enough for a busy design.
Here is the neckline close-up. It does reveal the slightest bit of cleavage. However, the Modesty Police (aka my hubby) didn't raise any eyebrows, so I thought it safe to wear to an older-crowd family function.
The drafting of this pattern was wonderful. The tummy ruching is actually a two piece construction, with the outer fabric being long and thin and then pulled width-wise and sewn onto the shorter and wider inner fabric.
I used french seams for almost all of the construction. You don't have to do this - knits don't ravel. I just happen to like neat insides, so I spend the extra time. I slip-stitched the neckline binding down on the inside instead of the machine stitching as per the instructions. I also used bias tape to cover the sleeve seams.
For knit dresses with cap sleeves, I like to cut the sleeves double, sew together and understitch on the inside. It's a lining for the sleeve except you use the same fabric. This eliminates any wonky stitches from having to topstitch on knits, and also gives it a nice clean finish when there's no other topstitching present. You can see the same technique used on this dress.
Here are the french seams on the top, middle and bottom sections. I always alternate pressing them to one side or the other, even when there's only two sections present. This causes less bulk and it lays smoother on the body.
In other sewing news, I started on this pink top yesterday from McCalls 5809. I was suppose to match the gray capris made earlier in the month and an orphan white linen jacket. Granted the fabric is not my favorite - no give and resists pressing - but finding the right shade of pink at the end of summer is no easy task. The fit is A-W-E-F-U-L!!! Droops were hanging over the front crossing bodice, even after I took a SMA. I guess I should be happy I got this trial run with the pattern before I cut into my wardrobe fabric I planned to use with it as well. But I'm bummed about this cute design. I had such hopes for it.
I'm not sure what's up next. I'll have to look through my humongous stash of projects and pick something that can be finished before the first of September.