The wardrobe contest at Patternreview.com is coming up in September and they have just posted the contest rules. (Go to the message boards and click on contest discussions.) It sounds pretty straightforward. Ten items needed: 5 tops, 4 bottoms and one "topper" (as in jacket/cardigan/cover-up of some sort). All the tops must match all the bottoms. One dress is allowed to replace either a top or a bottom but it must be worn with either all the bottoms or all the tops - it is a layering piece and can't be worn alone.
I have been wanting to participate in a contest for the longest time and so am super excited to plan and get started. This past spring JoAnn's carried a line of fabric they called "Monaco" or something like that. I loved a bunch of those coordinating fabrics and snapped them up when they went down to 60% off. A few other matching fabrics were added here and there, so I pretty much have everything I need.
(From left to right) -
1. Aqua crinkled polyester chiffon with small aqua sequins and gold threads running along grain. This will be Simplicity 2614 - either view D or E.
2. Shades of blueish-turquoise and brown floral polyester charmeuse. I'm planning Burda's 10/2008/113B top for this.
3. White cotton poplin. I can't make all my tops in either aqua or turquoise, and I can't think of anything else besides white that will match my bottoms selection. I currently have no pattern picked out for this one.
4. Shades of blueish-turquoise and brown floral semi-shear polyester chiffon. This floral is a smaller print then #2, and although they have the same colors, they look totally different. I'll be using McCall's 5809, view B with slightly longer sleeve ruffles.
5. Aqua shear polyester charmeuse with gold embroidery and turquoise sequins. This is a border print and has a scalloped edge on the bottom. I don't have a pattern for this one yet, either. It needs to be simple because the fabric is so busy, and empire-waisted so I can show a lot of the floral design off with being fitted at the same time.
1. Dark brown stretch suiting. This will be Burda 11/2008/117, only shortened to the knees. I want to keep the design lines of the top and also the flared bottom, so will be taking a lot of the length out of the middle.
2. Brown stretch suiting with turquoise and white pinstripes. The turquoise pinstripes go with both the aqua and blueish-turquoise of the other fabrics. I've picked Vogue 1051 for this one, of which I have just completed my wearable muslin of (and will hopefully have some decent pictures to show tonight or tomorrow.)
3. Tightly woven boucle-looking suiting. It has brown, aqua, turquoise and white strands. This will be some sort of skirt as I only have a little over a yard of it.
4. Brown stretch denim. This will be McCall's 5633, view B.
As for the "topper", I have no concrete plans. A fitted jacket would be nice but it would have to go with casual pants #4. Then I was thinking the Simplicity 2603 cardi-wrap might work, but tops #2 and #4 would look a little lumpy underneath. No clues for fabric either. I don't really want to be dressed from head to toe in brown.
Anyone else as excited about this as I am?