Thursday, June 4, 2009

Simplicity 3759 - Brown & turquoise print knit dress

I found this interesting print at Denverfabrics.com some months ago. (It looks kind of equestrian to me.) I needed a simple design for it, so I used this Simplicity pattern that was in the stash. It turned out drop-waisted and rather unforgiving in the tummy area. I really have to watch my posture and not eat any big meals when I wear it. However, it's comfortable and twirly so I'm happy.

This was super simple to make. Just a few french seams and a tiny amount of bias tape and voila! A breezy summer dress to wear out and about.

The neckline has a few gathers in the front - not that noticeable on this busy print. I'm currently in love with the turquoise and brown color combination and have bought a ton of it lately.

I did deviate from the pattern instructions for the sleeves. I tried it their way and turned up the sleeve edge for a skinny double hem but it looked terrible and my stitches were really wonky. Plus, I don't like to topstitch one area of a garment when there's no other topstitching present. So I doubled the the sleeves and understitched at the inside edge - it's a lining for the sleeves only with the same fabric. I like this finish much better. Here you can see the sleeve insides and the bias tape I used along the arm seams for a smooth finish. I stitched a single layer of the facing to the dress and slip-stitched it down by hand on the inside.

Here's the french seams I used for the side seams and waist seam.

I might make the top from this pattern in the future but won't make the dress again. Too many patterns, too little time, KWIM?

Up next is a little green top from Butterick 5328, which doesn't have too great of reviews over at Pattenreview.com, but I'm hoping mine turns out fabulous.

16 comments:

  1. Very cute!!! I plan to make this one also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful fabric and a very nice dress!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous fabric! I saw that on a couple of websites and kept thinking...what would I DO with it? Well, now I'm mad I didn't buy some!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That came out great! It looks like a skirt and top. I was surprised when you said it was the dress version. Either way, it is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you'll be reviewing Butterick 5328. I started working on this pattern, but I put it on hold, because I was confused about the instructions for the collar and the neckline bands. I don't know if it's my lack of experience (it was my first time sewing a shirt) or if it's because the instructions aren't clear...I can't wait to see yours and to read your review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely fabric and dress. Like these multi pattern from Butterick.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooh, very pretty! Your beds are looking really good, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You made the perfect little stylish summer dress. I like the tip on lining the sleeve for a more polished look.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute dress. Looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely dress. Good luck with the top too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks so much nicer than the pattern envelope. I love the fabric too and agree brown and turquoise make a great colour combination.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a nice dress. I'm a big fan of brown and turquoise plus I always am looking for simple patterns...ones that don't look that simple at first glance. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great dress, love the fabric! Know what you mean about the sleeve finish, too! As for the pattern, it looks like a must-have to me (simple t-shirts for all seasons)!

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi there,
    I'm a 20 year old college student and I purchased my first sewing machine today. I've always been into knitting and crocheting, but am ready to tackle sewing. My first project will be a simple [I hope!] bag, but then I want to move onto dresses. I've looked through your blog and you're so good! I hope you don't mind me asking questions along the way. :]
    -Mili

    ReplyDelete
  15. BEAUTIFUL! I love brown and turquoise together! You reminded me that I have a silk voile fabric in this same color combo!

    ReplyDelete