Sunday, June 30, 2013

Cake!

My boys both have birthdays in June within 8 days of each other. While we have always combined their parties into one, I do make each boy his own cake. The rule for birthday cakes is that I have to be able to find a cake pan for whatever they're wanting. We have had a fire engine, Lightning McQueen, a puppy, a pirate ship, an octopus (!), a guitar, and a Darth Vader head. This year Daniel rather randomly chose Bugs Bunny (he's not a big Loony Tunes watcher) and Nathan chose a golf bag because he's going to golf camp this summer and is excited about it.


I know Bugs is suppose to be light gray. It was late when I was mixing the frosting with the gel food coloring and I accidentally put in too much. I thought it would lighten up when it set but nope. Nobody cared. My star frosting tip got bent out of shape by the time I got to the insides of the ears so they look rather messy close up. Nobody cared about that either.


I had to run to the cake supply store the morning of the party to get a new tip and my sister kindly helped me finish frosting this one as our other few guests arrived. Nathan turned nine and Daniel turned seven. They were both excited about their cakes even though Nathan looks rather annoyed in the picture below. He's my introvert and doesn't much care for the spotlight and being sung to. Daniel's face is priceless. He loves me so much.

31 comments:

  1. Your cakes look great! I love the kids faces - they remind me of my two - total opposites! I love it

    ReplyDelete
  2. So precious! Great artistry. And your boys will never forget you did this for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am banking on them remembering this type of thing when I'm old and gray and need taking care of. ;)

      Delete
  3. So cute! Creativity is your middle name!

    Cherie in Phoenix

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfection! You are an amazing Mom! Thank you for sharing this picture of your boys, they are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done on the cakes! It is these extra little bits of effort that your handsome boys will remember.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cakes are awesome! I love to kids fun cakes and your decorating is great. Love the kids faces - so nice to see personalities of kids. Nice to see the kids -

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday to your boys!! The cakes look amazing. And I so get the boys faces, having three myself, and one a reserved teenager. Smiles are a rarity with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mushy! We haven't reached that not smiling phase yet but I'm sure it's coming.

      Delete
  8. Your cakes are sooooo impressive. You have lucky little boys.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are super talented!!! Those cakes look amazing! Happy B-Days to your boys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Florencia! It's all because of the cake pan and the instructions that come with it!

      Delete
  10. OMG!! You are so talented and they are so CUTE! I can never decide whether I prefer little girls or little boys???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diana! All three of my children are so different. I never get bored, that's for sure!

      Delete
  11. Ah, I love them both! Your kids are such a hoot. We have 4 June birthdays in our family, too! Happy birthday to them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That is a lot of June birthdays! Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  12. OK...... now I might have to hate you. You can sew AND decorate cakes. Hmmm. My girls could have any cake they wanted as long as the ice cream store could make them. Your cakes are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum! I love icecream cake! We might have to try that next year.

      Delete
  13. Oh, your cake decorating skills are brilliant!! I just make plain cakes for my children now they are all grown up, but I used to have fun with interpreting their latest loves in birthday cake form too. Happy birthday to both your boys!

    ReplyDelete