Monday, April 22, 2013

Simplicity 1624 - Cynthia Rowley ruffled toddler dress

I haven't sewn much for my daughter in the past because she's always been so tiny and I didn't want to have to figure out how to alter patterns down to her tiny size. Plus I just wasn't tempted by many of the baby patterns out there. Now that she is 2 1/2 years old, though, she is finally fitting into toddler sizes, of which there are many cute patterns that I am excited to sew up. This is the new Cynthia Rowley dress pattern Simplicity just released for spring. I made size 1/2 for the width and size 1 for the length.


The fabrics I used were leftovers from this skirt which I made way back in 2008. I haven't worn that skirt in ages as it's not really my style anymore, but still have it around somewhere. I saved the remnants because I loved the fabrics so much and had just enough to eek out this dress! (Although I did have to piece the ruffles a bit in the back.)

This face cracks me up!

I love ruffles on little girl's dresses but gosh! - they are SO MUCH WORK! Hem the bottom edge, finish the top edge, two rows of gathering stitch, pin it just right and stitch times four! I'm sure I will do ruffles again, though, they are so adorable on a little girl. (Just maybe not the next thing I make for her.)


I used white thread throughout, which I really like against the black. The neckline and arms are finished with self bias binding.


The back has a slit with a button & loop closure. It's a snug fit to get her arms through but fits loosely once it's on.


These fabrics held up really well. I sent Justin outside with the camera after church on Sunday, and she'd had it on for at least 3 hours by that point without much wrinkling. Didn't he do an awesome job on the photography?! Much better then my last attempt. I think he will be my new baby photographer.


The patten calls for a fabric loop but those are always a pain for me and I much prefer a thread loop.


For the inner skirt I used some white muslin I had on hand. I was making this dress from fabric fumes, and it never shows from the outside. I made french seams for the sides and shoulders. You can see a double row of stitching at the top of each ruffle - one to sew it to the inner skirt and the other to tack the top of the SA down.


I am not in love with the rest of the pieces from this pattern, but you may see the dress again in a year or two when she grows out of this one. And how fun to have a designer make a line for toddlers! I hope they release some more in the future.


67 comments:

  1. Your daughter is just so precious!!! She's so adorable in her little dress!!! Well worth all that gathering (wink)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dress is very cute, and looks adorable on your little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sooooo cute!!! What a lovely dress and ohh your daughter is so precious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both, the dress and she are so cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute dress. Instead of the thread or fabric loop, I use one of the fabric covered elastic Goodie baby hair rubber bands.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable dress! What about a ruffling foot attachment for your machine to handle ruffles in a more expedient fashion?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm... I might have to look into that. Thanks!

      Delete
  7. This is super cute! The ruffle do seem like a lot of work but they look so fab when done :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda! I agree - totally worth the extra effort.

      Delete
  8. Last summer when I learned how to use my serger I discovered it can also be used to gather! It is pretty awesome.
    Cute dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! Although I don't own a serger. There are so many things to learn in sewing! Thanks Kyle!

      Delete
  9. Awww, your daughter is adorable! And the dress is really cute on her. My current project is giving me my fill of ruffles and gathering for sure as well. They are a lot of work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is darling, as is your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lori! I hope she enjoys my sewing for her when she gets bigger just as your girls do.

      Delete
  11. Beautiful (and the dress is too!) - lovin' your print combo!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The dress is adorable or it might just be your model, too cute. Here's a tip for the ruffles, pull up the bobbin thread and zig-zag over it, instead of the two rows to gather and a rolled hem on the serger is a great way to finish them. Either way it was definitely worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I don't own a serger but that rolled hem finish is the one reason I'd like to someday. Maybe if we ever get a bigger house I can have my own sewing room. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  13. How adorable. Co-ordinated ruffles. She's so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great dress! I like yours much better than the envelope artwork. I may have to make this for my little girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I wasn't too keen on their fabric choices either.

      Delete
  15. Both the dress and daughter are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your dress is very cute! She looks like she loves wearing it. If you want some more inspiration of things to sew for her check out Ottobre pattern magazine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamara! I like the looks of Ottobre a lot, but the subscription is super expensive.

      Delete
  17. omgoodness baby outfits are soooo adorable!!!
    Your bub is precious <3
    I cut out some baby patterns too, but as I don't have kids, there's not much motivation to sew them up :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awww, so cute! Dress AND daughter :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hay, Amanda. on coincidence i had found your blog about sewing. And Ispend 2 hours to cheak your projects. you make really beautifull things. I saw that you are ordering models from Mccalls, which for me is not posible to oreder. you you please give me you reply on gmail, thank. andreja

    ReplyDelete
  20. Super cute toddler, wearing a super cute dress. What could be better? TFS

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a beautiful dress, love the fabric combination. Your husband did a fantastic job with the pictures.
    I love the tiny little bows on your daughter's hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Florencia! That hairdo was my first attempt at using tiny bobby pins to pin up little buns. They kinda fell by the time the photos were taken. :)

      Delete
  22. I am amazed that you were able to visualize that meh pattern artwork and create such a truly adorable dress for your equally adorable child. That's real talent!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I have made a habit of looking at the blackline drawings of a pattern to really see what is going on. Some ruffled dress patterns have weird button plackets up the back, but this one was uninterrupted with just the small neck opening.

      Delete
  23. Oh Amanda, your girl is so adorable! And the dress is lovely too. Those pictures really make you want to smile.

    ReplyDelete
  24. So adorable. Great combo of fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is some seriously awesome cuteness! Mostly your daughter, and partly the dress!

    ReplyDelete
  26. If someone hasn't mentioned it before now, you might want to invest in a ruffler foot for doing all of those ruffles or use a serger to make quick work of it. Just a thought ...

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is SO CUTE! The fabric choices are smashing. I hate ruffles too, and any type of gathering. I'd also recommend a ruffle foot attachment for your machine. Once you get it set up properly, it makes ruffles a snap!

    ReplyDelete
  28. How cute! What a sweetpea! The dress looks great on her!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Amanda,
    Little Miss Rachel is looking very adorable in her new Mom-made dress!! Really cute! I hope you are able to make more clothes for her now that she has grown some. Little girl dresses are such fun to make and take so little fabric.
    Another easier way to gather is to zig zag stitch over a heavier thread, like crochet thread. You can then pull it up and it won't break. After stitching the ruffle down, the crochet thread can be pulled out if you don't stitch over it.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  30. I was just thinking we hadn't seen your little Rachel in a while! She is so precious and the dress is adorable. Great job on the photos by your hubby also!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your little girl is adorable!! Such a beautiful outfit, too. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  32. That is such a cute dress and your daughter is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete