Wednesday, December 22, 2010

January Burda picks

I didn't do any picks for the month of December because there were zero designs from that issue that I wanted to make. Although it does include a pattern for father and son pajamas, which I plan to use, so is not a total loss. However, January's magazine is a different story, offering lots of feminine patterns that I really like.

This first one is blouse 102. I always love a top with a peplum as it gives the illusion of a smaller waist on my squarish shape. The off-center button and loop closure, wide rounded yoke and squared off sleeve insertion are other fun details. I've never been one to love flutter sleeves, but this blouse is so pretty and breezy with them. (Although I could use the long sleeves from dress 104 if desired.)
Have you ever noticed that patterns for long sleeved dresses are hard to come by? Or that if you find one it's almost always for a knit? Every winter I think I'll find one in the new pattern lines, but they are either sleeveless (for winter!) or for a knit. Now I realize the fabric listed for dress 104 is crepe jersey, but since they have the short sleeve top version made out of silk batiste, I don't see why the dress can't be made from a woven as well. This is one darling dress, and I especially love the grosgrain ribbon they used for a belt and tied on the side.

Jacket 106 also has a peplum and interesting shaped yokes. I like the front pockets and blousy effect of the front and back gathers.
Dress 108 is super simple and the blackline drawing looks like a night gown, but isn't this a gorgeous dress all made up? Especially with an obi belt to give it some shape. I really like the sleeves with buttoning cuffs and the front button closure. This design is simple enough to be made in some really busy fabric.

How cute is coat 109?!! It has a fitted shape from the long front darts and cute welt pockets. I love the blousy sleeve bottoms gathered into bands at the wrists. Here's another simple design that would look great in a busier fabric.

Jacket 127 looks pretty plain from the front, but upon further inspection, I noticed the back peplum is actually an extension of the front piece. So if this was made in some sort of stripe, the center back peplum would meet in a V. I'll leave off the front pockets to show the continuous fabric line on the sides. And I just happen to have the perfect fabric in my stash.

Okay, so I don't actually own any leggings. They so remind me of the 80's and elementary school. And even though I know they're back in style, I'm just not wanting to go there again. However, if I ever get the urge to make a pair, these look like some nice fitting ones. (Probably what will happen is that I'll decide I like them right when the style is changing and they're out again. That is usually how it is with me and fads. Although I never owned a pair of Crocks and am proud of it.)

Many thanks for the compliments on my faux leather vest and to you lovely people who are writing nice things concerning my loss of the baby weight. It is so encouraging to hear that!!! However, I am good at camouflage, and still have a ways to go before most of my clothes start to fit properly. Being a square, I carry weight through my mid-section. It is always the first place I gain and the last place I lose. Most of my pants have started to fit again because they don't extend up to my waist, but none of my skirts are fitting nor are the fitted tops or dresses. I have no secrets to weight loss - wish I did! It's never taken me this long to get back to my normal size with any of my other pregnancies, and I'm frustrated that I still can't wear most of the things I made last summer. But, I will get there. Eventually. Probably after Christmas when my house is not filled with cookies. Anyway, I just felt like being honest with you.

I had a ton of plans for things to make for Christmas gifts, but of course I hardly got any of them completed. Why don't I learn my lesson and start in November?! This will probably be the last post for awhile. I want to wish you all a very Merry Christmas. I pray that you'll remember the best Christmas gift ever given, and that was the Father's gift of Christ:

"For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not parish but have eternal life." John 3:16

11 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas Amanda! Hope you have lots of fun with you now larger family. Thanks for sharing all you beautiful creations over the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like this January's Burda, so much nicer than Decembers!

    Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas, Amanda! You have many blessings to count this year, such a lucky girl! Thanks for reviewing the Jan. Burda, mine hasn't arrived yet, but it looks wonderful! Maybe Santa will tuck it in my stocking?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw sweetie, you look beautiful! Don't worry so much about the inches that aren't coming off as fast as you'd like. I think you are adorable. :)

    We love the same patterns! (Again,haha) I'm so happy with this issue and a little relieved I was getting worried.

    Oh, and about "JB"...I know I shouldn't feed the trolls, ha, but I couldn't help it. All the nuts come out at the holidays, don't they?

    Merry Christmas to you and your family!! Smooch that pretty baby for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family, Amanda. I feel like each blog entry you make is a little gift to all your readers. I can't believe you can keep up with it all with 3 little kids! Thanks a million!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. great roundup of the Jan Burda. I love that coat 109.
    and Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your picks! I haven't gotten into the leggings thing either for some of the same reasons as you, though I may be changing my tune about it...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had a baby a week before you, my second, and I sympathise. Definitely too many indulgences around at this time of year.
    I've been looking at looser styles, which I can bring in later if I loose more weight. Maybe it's here to stay, particularly around the lower tummy?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree. The January issue is loaded with great patterns. Some of your picks are the same as mine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I finally looked through my copy last night and was smitten with 123 - the long knit tunic. I just bought skinny jeans and could use a few new tops to pair with them (aka, something that covers my bum!) :P

    ReplyDelete