Sunday, June 13, 2010

Jalie 2919 - White sweaterknit cardigan

This sweaterknit was a very recent purchase from Fabricmart.com. It's not anything special in terms of content - probably 100% polyester - but it has great drape and will be sufficiently warm for a cool fall/spring day. I wanted a cardigan and was all set to make up Simplicity 2603. Except that I wanted something a little more structured and didn't have enough fabric for the more drapey Simplicity. Enter my first ever Jalie pattern, also purchased from Fabricmart.com.

This pattern has already been made many times, and those ladies have stated it was narrow through the shoulders and had tight sleeves. I have rather fleshy arms, so knew that was going to have to change. While I love to sew, I do not like to draft or design. I also like to skip making muslins as much as possible. So, Simplicity 2603 (already purchased) was put to good use after all. I used the front, tie and upper back from the Jalie pattern. The shoulder, sleeve opening, sleeve, and narrower lower back are from the Simplicity pattern.

This will mostly be worn with jeans or slacks and a white shell (currently being knitted) underneath. And since I am always cold during the winter, this pattern is sure to be used again and again when I find more sweaterknits. I did make this several inches shorter then the pattern, and can also see it in a waist length for some variety.

The long front tucks and folded over front "tie" sold me on this design.

Several construction techniques were changed from what the pattern instructed. I used french seams throughout and slip-stitched the tie closed at the inside front. I didn't do my usual bias tape enclosure of the armhole seams. The fabric was just too thick and cumbersome and my sewing room felt hot and stuffy. It doesn't ravel, and I don't feel the least bit of remorse.

Skirt 125 from Burda's April issue will be completed either today or tomorrow. I am using a rich shade of red and it is looking gorgeous! After that I have got to make something in a print. All these recent solid colors, while very versatile, are starting to bore me.

17 comments:

  1. That's so lovely, Amanda. I would love to wear a cardigan like that in winter, I love white and the shape of this one is great, with those tucks. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sewing is soooo precise, it is always a pleasure to study your garments. That is indeed a lovely drape in that fabric.
    Good idea to use a frankenpattern!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great cardigan. I will have to go look for that fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that cardigan!!! I can't wait to see your skirt--that pattern is on my todo list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks very chic made up in white. It will look wonderful with jeans or slacks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The other Mary Beth piping. I love these cardigans, a white one is different.

    I app-solutely ♥
    ✄ Fabric U ✄
    iPhone app!
    http://tinyurl.com/242bua9

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! In a crepe knit too, lovely. I can't stop wearing my two versions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks really fresh in white. Nicest version I have seen. Looking forward to seeing the skirt. I had forgotten about that pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're going to get so much wear out of this gorgeous looking cardigan! White is so right for this style. I can see it looking fabulous with so many outfits - I think every wardrobe should have one of these!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beatiful.. Love the fabric and color.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just joined your blog! I love your style - I don't sew but I love looking at your entries to see what you have created :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it! What a perfectly versatile piece for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I feel you on needing prints! Even two solid colored projects in a row is too many for me. The construction on your sweater is impeccable!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Perfect Summer into Fall piece! The knit looks so soft! Love the style!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous! I can tell that is going to be a real wardrobe staple. :)

    ReplyDelete