Monday, April 19, 2010

NewLook 6802 - Black & white print maternity dress + future sewing plans

This dress isn't something I whipped up in a few days, it was actually an UFO from last June. At that time I found it really poochy in the tummy but thought it might make a nice maternity dress. So last week I found it hanging in my "needs attention" area of the closet, tried it on, found it to be a perfect fit, and finished up a few minor details (the armholes and hem). Ta da! Please excuse my blinding skin tone.

Yes, my pop of color for shoes is more yellow. I am an a yellow kick lately. There is actually a lot more fabric and stretch available in the baby bump area and I hope to be able to wear this dress for a few more months.

This fabric is from my very first order from Gorgeousfabrics.com in August 2008. I've now used up every cut of fabric from that shipment and am quite proud of myself for doing so.

I made several slight changes to the pattern. The front underlay is suppose have a center front seam and be V-necked. I wanted to use bias tape to finish the neckline and avoid the facing. (I'm not a fan of facings in knit garments and always try my hardest to find a way around them.) My solution was to cut the underlay on a fold and make it rounded. In retrospect this is kind of a busy print to waste such a cool knotted detail on; a smaller print or solid color would have showed it off better.

I also used french seams throughout because I am a nerd and like clean insides. This picture is of the shoulder seam and bias tape finish for the neckline and armholes. Since I'm sure to be asked, this is regular "Wrights" brand polyester/cotton bias tape available at any fabric store in a variety of colors. I love it and regularly stock up on it when there's a sale. It works well on knits as well as other fabrics, as long and the seam you are using it on does not need to stretch a lot. Here is the tutorial for binding a seam. I suppose I need to make another tutorial for neckline finishes.

Total costs:

pattern bought with a coupon: $2.39
1 yard fabric purchased but received 1.5 yards: $10.00
bias tape on sale: $0.80
thread: $0.75???

grand total: $13.94 plus or minus



Now, for my future sewing plans:

A few of you expressed excitement at seeing me make some maternity clothes. Well, this might be it. This is my third summer baby, so I already have quite a bunch of maternity wear. Plus I have some really awesome girlfriends that have given/loaned me even more cute styles. And, there just aren't a whole lot of fashionable patterns available. I was all excited to make maternity wear when pregnant with my firstborn, and I did, but most of it turned out looking like a potato sack. That might have been what was worn in the 80's or before, but today's expecting lady does not want to hide her shape behind yards of billowing fabric. There are a few independent pattern companies that have come out with fitted items. I think Jalie might be one, and Burda also who I was unaware of 6 years ago. However, it's just not something I am excited about.

What I do plan to continue making is regular clothing. In fact, I would like to concentrate on making up as much winter stash as possible. This baby is due at the end of August or early September. It takes me about 4 weeks to get back to my normal size, and that makes it October and fall. I might as well sew for cooler weather. I am suppose to be receiving my corrected custom dressform at the end of this week (but am not holding my breath), so will have that to fit my garments on.

31 comments:

  1. Very cute dress and you look great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize you were pregnant... congratulations! And your dress works perfectly- love how it shows off your cute bump!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't belive I am back here a second time today! I am still fuzzy headed after my siesta so instead of finishing today's project, I am dvisitng blogs!
    You look cute, andf I love the yellow shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great dress - you look lovely in it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky you kept the dress...but then you probably knew it would come in handy ;) It looks fabulous. Perfect for a maternity dress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute dress! I am glad you never fixed it. It worked out perfect! Are you planning on making any little girl outfits?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the dress, it's cute, and looks great on you! I would love for you to recommend some resources as to how you achieve such a great fit to your clothing. I am on a beginner level, and marvel at how your clothing always looks so perfectly fitted, and not at all "homemade." Please share some tips that you think would be helpful, or books, DVDs, anything! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look fabulous in this!! Great job!
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay for going through your stash, completing a ufo, and looking fabulous in it! Great dress! Good luck with your final trimester through the Texas summer!! Hopefully this year won't be as hot as the last.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute cute cute! It looks wonderful, and you look beautiful. Oh I want to be pregnant again... but not yet. :-) Of course as soon as I am pregnant, I say "Get this thing out of me!!"

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so much cuter than most maternity dresses. It would look nice with your yellow linen jacket too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a pretty dress! I love the fabric.
    Your sewing plans make perfect sense.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a great maternity dress, very pretty! I loved wearing knit dresses during my pregnancy. They were comfortable, yet still pretty. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute dress! Congratulations on your pregnancy. Best wishes, Sena

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a cute dress. I've made that pattern a couple of times, too and love it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So cute! That is actually one of my fav patterns. I've made it three times. The first the fabric wasn't drapey enough so it felt a little maternity, but the other two I used very drapey fabrics and I don't feel maternity at all. I think sewing for fall sounds like such a great plan.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You look fabulous in this dress, Amanda. I am always so impressed with the inside of your garments.

    Maternity wear has come a long way from the old days. This looks like a dress you can wear preg or not.

    Cissie

    ReplyDelete
  18. I totally bought this pattern intending to use it for a maternity pattern (since as you note, there really aren't many out there)... but never got around to it and only have 6-8 weeks to go now.

    I'm hoping I can make it for post-pregnancy without it making me look still pregnant! Your version is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The dress is very beautiful and perfect for a pregnancy!
    I sewed this dress last summer and love it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are the poster child for a beautiful healthy looking pregnancy. The dress is darling.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You look amazing! I think you could even match this new dress with your new yellow coat.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This dress looks very cute and I'm so glad you were able to save it. Black and white is a classic look that would also be great with red accessories.

    ReplyDelete
  23. How funny- That's the same reaction I had when I made this dress! I still wear it, though, because I too used fabric from Gorgeous Fabrics and I love her fabrics!

    4 weeks to go back to your normal size???? It's been 6 YEARS for me, and I'm still waiting, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great job!! Very cute and congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such a great maternity dress! I'm glad you're able to put it to use.

    ReplyDelete
  26. A perfect dress and I love that wonderful black and white print combined with the zingy yellow shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Adorable! I agree with the others - this would look so cute with your new jacket and those fun yellow shoes. Btw, I totally thought of you this weekend. I was at Ann Taylor Loft and they had a couple of cargo style jackets with a similar collar and drawstring thing-a-majig as your yellow jacket. They were cute, but the color of yours is so much more springy and fun. You're right on trend missy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a terrific dress, it's absolutely PERFECT!

    You look great, BTW!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Gorgeous dress and gorgeous you! This dress *almost* makes me wish I was pregnant again and making cute non frumpy maternity dresses

    ReplyDelete
  30. I have this dress pattern and have made it twice. The first one is great and the second will never be worn. I found that it needs a really stretchy, drapey knit to fit and look best. Yours turned out really cute.

    ReplyDelete