Friday, June 12, 2009

Two and a half wadders in a row...

I have been busy sewing, but nothing is working out. I'm hoping to not repeat last summer's wadderfest. First I attempted Butterick 5328 in an olive green to match an orphan skirt.

I love this pattern. The fit was perfect and the front gathers and tie so cute. The fabric wasn't the best choice. It was some polyester blend that's kind of flowy. In recent years I have bought lots of this in various colors, but it never seems to iron well and doesn't take curves with any ease. Especially at the collar it wouldn't sew smoothly and since I like the pattern so much, I decided to scrap it and use a green cotton poplin already in the stash. I'm considering it a muslin and moving on.

Next up was Butterick 5327, which I instantly loved view A with the beads sewn in between the tucks. Those dumb tucks!!! You have to sew them all by hand, which involves lining them up perfectly so they are the same width. This proved to be difficult and fiddly. The directions were not forthcoming about whether to fold the fold lines in or out. I started with in and got half way around and tried it on: SUPER HUGE NECKLINE! Okay, I'm thinking the tucks must tuck out instead. So I rip all those out and begin again. Need I go on? I spent 2 evenings of sewing time trying to make it work and gave up. I can be very patient on my garments to a certain point. Then I've had it! DON"T BUY THIS PATTERN unless you want a lot of headaches and pulled out hair.

I'm counting Newlook 6802 as a half wadder. Why you wonder? Well, had I read the reviews for this at Pattenreview.com I would have found out that it looks really maternity. The skirt is straight with gathers under the bust, so with the bigger front the gathers kind of pooch out. Not my favorite look when I'm not preggers.

However, we are hoping to add to our family in the future so I'll probably get some wear out of it then. Although it is sleeveless so might not work if I'm pregnant during the winter. Oh who am I kidding, I live in Texas. Sometimes we wear shorts on Christmas! I snapped a picture of it for you. I suppose it will be completed sometime in the future.

So that's what I've been working on. I need a quick fix for my wadder blues. Maybe I'll make an easy TNT straight skirt tonight. Have a great weekend, y'all!

12 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear that Butterick with the tucks isn't worth it! I was looking forward to making that someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So what you're telling me is to save the Butterick 5327 (with the tucks and bead, which is on my sewing table) for a day when I've had a good night's rest, a few cups of coffee, and no small children under foot? Got it... so, I might as well toss it?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad to hear that you like the Butterick blouse. I love the look but kept reading bad reviews. I am going to give it a try. I need to find a good fabric...in the stash if I can!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that's frustrating! Those patterns look so promising too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am seriously depressed to hear the pattern was a nightmare because I love it and need it in my wardrobe. I hate that! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to run look at the drawing of B5327. That IS a big neckline, especially using a knit. I would love to see who makes the tests of these patterns and their finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a bummer. I like all of your patterns but hate that they are not working out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have an award. go to my blog to see what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All three of my daughters have a version of the New Look pattern and they all turned out cute. Maybe you used to big of a size? The top has zero ease so it should be very fitted. I'm sorry you had so many wadders. Hopefully next one will be a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was hoping to see your version, I'm sorry if it didn't turn out well. I find that so frustrating, when I work on a sewing project ends up in the wadder pile. I hate it even more when it's because of a fabric and pattern mismatch, this is what happens to me all the time. Mine is halfway done, I put it aside because I got confused when I got to the part where you attach the neckband and collar. I don't think I'll bother trying finishing it,even if I really like the look, I saw someone's version on a blog, but I've completely lost interest in it! Maybe when I get more practice, I'll try it again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the advise about what to avoid - what a shame!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's a shame about the Butterick tucks...I just saw a Marc Jacobs dress on net-a-porter with a similar neckline...had I known there was a pattern similar, I would have bought it....but now I've read your post, I won't

    ReplyDelete