You all convinced me, and I decided to try to save it. Well what do you know? I LOVE it!
I so love this design. There are tons of little details that make it special; the wrap front with ties, gathers along the bust, gathered sleeve caps with cuffs, pretty curved neckline, and collar with stand.
I removed the front bands, cut off 1/2 inch along the curve of the front bodice, and redistributed the gathers starting 1 inch above the pattern's top gather point and ending 1.5 inches above the bottom gather point.
I put two snaps where the front bands overlap to keep them in place.
Here at the shoulder seams I used french seams. The sleeve seam was covered in white bias tape to cover the exposed seam. Green would have been preferable, but I couldn't find any. The front band was slip-stitched and I decided against the topstitching in that area.
This pattern includes a piece for inside fabric ties. But I found those too bulky on my muslin, so opted for ribbon instead. Here you can see it and the french seam down the side.
Thanks to everyone who posted incouraging remarks when I thought this was another wadder. I think the reason wadders beget more wadders is that you loose your confidence after a few loosers, and think you can't make it work when you hit problems in your current project. I'm hoping this is the end of my streak.
The matching pencil skirt will be completed tonight and I'll post it soon.