Thursday, May 26, 2016

Simplicity 2187 - Red & white geometric print jumpsuit

I'm trying something different with my newest project - a jumpsuit. (I was calling it a romper but that sounds like something a toddler would wear.) This pattern has capri-length pant legs which I cut off to shorts before cutting into my fabric.


The fabric is viscose jersey from Mood fabrics and has been used by quite a few of my fellow MSN bloggers. I waited forever to purchase it and was only able to get a yard. There was also a black color way but unfortunately they've both sold out. This was my first time using viscose jersey and I really enjoyed working with it. I laundered it before cut out and it came out of the dryer looking exactly like it did when it went in the washer.


Others who've used this pattern have complained that there was too much fabric in the upper part of the shorts, resulting in a saggy rear end. I decided to cut my typical knit size of 10 as drafted, with the knowledge that I could always cut fabric off the top of the shorts if that was the case with mine. After basting the shorts and top together and trying it on, I could see that I didn't need to remove any fabric after all. I do have a long torso; someone with a normal length torso might find it too long.


The center fronts are suppose to be finished with facings and the back neckline with bias tape. It's been awhile since I worked with bias tape, though, and I guess I forgot how to do it effectively. In an effort to try to save the project from the trashcan I decided to try fold over elastic in a contrasting color. This is the first time I've worked with it and I wasn't sure what to expect. I had to play around with how much to stretch it and did end up restitching things a few times, but I love the effect!


The fronts don't exactly meet at a modest point, hence the camisole.



I used some black ponte from my stash to edge the belt with. I had to do a lot of stitching in the ditch by hand all along the black edges. The belt took just as long to make as the jumpsuit did but I love the way it turned out.


I used 3/4" elastic for the waist instead of the called for 1/4" and topstitched it down from the outside. The bottom of the shorts were hemmed with a wide twin needle.


I finished all the interior seams with the overlocking stitch on my sewing machine. Knits don't ravel but I like the finished look of it on the inside.


It remains to be seen how much wear I get out of this jumpsuit. I love the way it turned out and think it looks well made but it's just not the type of thing I see anyone else around here wearing. Maybe I'll save it for date night..

Note: This fabric was purchased with my Mood Fabrics monthly allowance, as part of my participation in the Mood Sewing Network.

20 comments:

  1. That is so cute!!! I see lots of jumpsuits around my city, and I always think the women wearing them look great. Maybe I'll make one, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah, I wouldn't call my city especially fashion forward. Thanks Turbo!

      Delete
  2. It is so cute and fun! Wear it everywhere!! I have only made one, and it turned out to be a heavier than I anticipated. I'm looking for a good fabric for another attempt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh! I made a knit top out of that very same fabric! It's a beautiful print and the colors are so vibrant and cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This fabric definitely made the rounds. I usually stay away from patterns or fabrics that everyone is going for - the rebellious side of me and all - but I loved the colors and print too much to resist. Thanks Tomasa!

      Delete
  4. Maybe I am just too old, and have seen too many revivals of jumpsuits/rompers. Or maybe my traumatic memories of the polyester double-knit zip-front horror that was my junior high school gym uniform has dictated my distaste for rompers ... the colors in your outfit are the same. Blaze orange, white, and black. Involuntary shudder ran through me when I opened your posting today, lol. Wear it in good health. I will not emulate your efforts for my own self.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a relief. Now I can stop worrying about running into you in a similar outfit.

      Delete
    2. Hahahaha! No worries at all, my dear. I'd have burned it when I left school, only it would not have burned.

      Delete
  5. Oh my! "If you can't say something nice..." It's adorable on you Amanda and so well made as always!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love, love, love it, Amanda! You always come up with something unique with an added flair somehow! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Loretta! I sew for the little extras - that's what makes it fun to me. I always like imagine I'm window shopping, and ask myself what would make me enter the store to look at or try this garment on?

      Delete
  7. The jumpsuit looks great and the fit is right on point! I love the black edging, it sets it apart and was well worth the extra effort. Now I'm considering making the short jumpsuit from the June Burdastyle magazine for myself :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can easily see that short jumpsuit on you! Thanks Tany!

      Delete
  8. Absolutely adorable! The fit is perfect, and I love the effect of the black edging with the print! Maybe you will start a trend in your city :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, San Antonio isn't exactly known as a fashion mecca. Thanks Lisa!

      Delete
  9. I like the belt and can see how an envelope purse or bucket bag could be made to coordinate with the tie belt on a plain dress without bias binding.

    ReplyDelete