Sunday, February 14, 2016

Vogue 8950 - Apple green + gray stripe long sleeve tunic

I've made yet another top! The pattern is Vogue 8950, which came out three years ago but is happily still in print. My two fabrics are some sort of modal/cotton knits, purchased online a few years ago. I loved the green colorway especially, and only bought the gray on a whim.


I enjoy the challenge of sewing with stripes. They take a bit of careful planning, but perfectly matching stripes are something that are not easily found in RTW. I matched up the gray and green fabrics so that the stripes are uninterrupted where they join.


This pattern runs large. My normal Vogue size is 12 and I usually go down to a 10 for knits. I cut this in an 8 and it's still pretty loose. The smallest size is a 6, so keep that in mind if you are a tiny person.


I like the longer length of this top and the curving hemline with side slits. I finished all my hems with a wide double needle. The inside seams I finished with my sewing machine's overlocking stitch.


The directions have you do a double folded hem for the neckline, but in my experience those always stretch out horribly. Instead I cut a binding 25.25" long and stitched it to the neckline, then topstitched to keep it from flipping out.


Except for having to set in the sleeves several times to get the stripes to match up, this was a quick project. I am planning to make this top once more before spring hits, and possibly for summer with the shorter sleeves.

Here's my little valentine who wanted to get a picture with me. I think I need an adult version of her dress.

47 comments:

  1. What a cute top and even cuter little one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How nice! I love the unexpected harmony of the green and gray. And so beautifully sewn. Your little valentine is so pretty :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely top! You and your daughter are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe I never gave this pattern 2 looks! Very cute and beautifully made, as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pattern drawings are TERRIBLE, so I don't blame you. It looks really big on the modeled picture as well. Thanks Jenny!

      Delete
  5. Ok, I bow to your skill at matching stripes. Did you need to alter the pattern to get the stripes on the sleeves to match? Because wow...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, no altering. Just a bunch of stitch and rip out and re-stitch. Thanks Angela!

      Delete
  6. Wow! Great top and amazing job with those stripes! I really love the vents on the side and that dipped hem at the back. I need to go find me that pattern. Your little Valentine is such a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ady! It's still in print so you shouldn't have a problem finding it.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful top. I love to have basics like that with a hint of something different. The Apple colour looks great with the grey!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great make and good fabric choice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Impeccable as always! Was your binding double and on the bias, or just cut on the grain? Your beautiful daughter hit the lottery with you as her sewing mom! She will keep you busy in the years to come!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was cut on grain. I find cutting things on the bias in knits to be pointless, unless you are playing with stripe placement. Thanks Loretta!

      Delete
  10. Very cute top and I love the color combo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your little valentine is simply beautiful. She is really growing! I love the top very cute. A great top to run errands in and some casual office outings. Looks great with the leggings. As always another winner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm starting to pay more attention to my casual wardrobe and what I always reach for in a certain season, which is why I'm having a tops moment. Thanks Patricia!

      Delete
  12. Your stripes match perfectly and your daughter is adorable! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lve the top ,the stripes and the colours. And oh that little Sweetie Pie. I'd love to reach in a give her a hug !!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great looking top and love the two colors of stripes. Your valentine sure is a cutie.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the pattern and the colors.
    And your big little daughter.

    Love, WIlma

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the combination of stripe fabrics! good job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for making this top up, and doing it so beautifully. I have the pattern and it is great to see how it came out for you. Can you show an inside shot of the neck binding please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Autumn! I'm planning to use the same neck binding technique on my next garment, so I'll show an inside picture of it for you.

      Delete
  18. You did a beautiful job of matching and combining the stripes. Thank you for the sizing info.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the color combination. The perfectly matched stripes are amazing to me! I think you should definitely make an adult version of your adorable valentine's dress, then take her to tea or something special like that! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, she would love that. I think I might make mine in black so it doesn't look too twee. Thank you Lisa!

      Delete
  20. Very nice! I never think to get the same fabric in multiple colors and I always end up regretting it when I see things like this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tasha! I don't do it very often. I'm a one and done girl for the most part.

      Delete
  21. Amazing Amanda as usual!! I have two fabrics that match and I was about to take a match to them until I saw this project! LOL! The fabrics would thank you I'm sure - and I have this pattern!! Looks like a copy cat crime is about to happen! Your valentine is growing! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great idea to join the grey and green fabrics. It looks like the fabric was intentionally designed that way. Your neckline binding is beautiful, very professional. Beautiful top and beautiful little valentine!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is a really creative use of two fabrics, I thought it was a border print at first thanks to your impeccable stripe matching.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love your hemline with the side slits. Gorgeous stripe matching.

    ReplyDelete