Sunday, January 31, 2016

Vogue 1389 again - Maroon wool knit baseball top

I am continuing to enjoy using up fabric from my scrap pile and making tops. Here is my latest creation from Vogue 1389, a Donna Karan designer pattern.


I first made this pattern back in December and it has seen lots of wear during this mild winter, so I decided to make another one using up a big scrap of maroon wool knit. Four LONG years ago (before I had many gray hairs - sob!) I used this fabric for a top with a draped neckline and wore it for Christmas. It was donated a year or so later because I really hate to wear anything fussy around my neck. But the fabric was perfectly lovely and I'm glad I had a big piece of it to make something that will actually get some wear.


This time I used an exposed seam detail throughout the shirt and love the outcome. It is achieved by stitching the pieces together with the wrong sides facing it, then ironing them flat and topstitching from the outside about 1/8" on either side of the seam. Then I carefully cut away the excess fabric. It looks really cool on fabrics with a terry like texture on the inside.


This is a very fitted pattern. Where I usually size down to a 10 on knits, I cut a straight size 12. I also dropped the armholes an inch like last time, as they are drafted really high. The sleeve bands were thick and dumpy looking so I oped to hem the sleeves right above the elbow. All hems were sewn with a wide set twin needle.


The neckline stretched out a bit when I was making this top so I sprayed it with water and threw it in the dryer with a damp towel. Twenty minutes later I took it out and the neckline had shrunk to a point where it lays nice and flat against my chest.


Even though I'm an Aggie I don't really own a ton of maroon stuff. Well, now I've got a least one top to wear with this cap. Whoop! Also Gig 'em.

29 comments:

  1. The fit is Fantastic and I really like the seam detail

    ReplyDelete
  2. That seam detail is really ace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great fit, and I'll keep your dryer tip in mind next time I have problems with neckband!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only if you are working with a wool. Otherwise I wash and try on hot if I need to shrink something. Thanks Merche!

      Delete
  4. Love the fit, the colour and the seaming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best Color Ever! Gig'em!
    Nice touch on the exposed seams!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute top and the perfect Aggie Maroon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That maroon color is just gorgeous on you so you must make more garments in this color. Beautiful top!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Amanda, you made this top look really fun to wear, very sporty look.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's an interesting seam technique I wouldn't have thought of, and a really beautiful color on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Twigletqueen! I learned it from a Vogue pattern years ago, so not my own invention. :)

      Delete
  10. What a great top, Amanda! The seaming is a really lovely detail and, of course, maroon is the best color out there. Gig 'em! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice! I like the outside seams.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amanda, I m missing so much your dresses!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! I have one in the works but it is super tedious and I can only do a little bit without putting it aside for something that doesn't make my eyes cross. Also I have something pretty awesome planned for my Easter dress. Fingers crossed it works out!

      Delete
  13. I'm new to the sewing world, just started following your blog, and had no idea you were a fellow Aggie. Howdy from Chicago!

    ReplyDelete