Friday, September 19, 2014

McCall's 6992 - Black + white fashion sweatshirt in quilted cotton knit

These fashion sweatshirts have been popular for the last few years, and I have finally gotten around to stitching one up. I enjoy making garments that are interesting and different from what I find in department stores, and none of the thicker knits I was seeing really caught my eye. That is until I saw this awesome quilted cotton knit at Mood fabrics. (It has just recently sold out but they have other interesting quilted fabric, though currently none with stretch.) I loved the subtle city buildings at night print and the texture, and only needed to order a yard.


 For the sleeves I used black ponte from my stash and some fun black rib knit for the neck and sleeve bands. Rib knits are hard to find locally around here, y'all. I kind of thought those types of fabrics were store staples.


 I used McCall’s 6992 for the pattern, which I chose because the sleeves and bodice looked somewhat fitted. This design has a slight high-low hem to it. The darts on the top of the sleeves enable a close and flattering fit. I cut one size down from my normal big 4 pattern size, a typical choice when sewing knits, and the fit is spot on. This pattern has great variety to it, and I can see myself making at least one more, maybe with some fancier sequin fabric.


Taking pictures of black garments is always so difficult! Here are some close ups so you can see some of the details better. I really adore the mix of textures that make up this top.


Although the quilted fabric is a knit, it was very prone to unraveling. I finished the side seams using the overlocking stitch on my machine, but the edges really stretched out and I had to aggressively press them into submission. The rest of the garment was finished with hand whip-stitching. I actually really like how neat the inside turned out, as most of the time when I'm working with knit fabrics it doesn't look so nice.


This was a fun project for me because the knits I worked with were somewhat thick and stable. I have the hardest time with the thinner variety! In fact, I have given myself permission to buy any good quality knit garment that I like and not try to tell myself I can just go make it instead.

38 comments:

  1. Oh....wow; I've never been the first to comment before. I really like this top....great combination of textures and cute print. Very nice job, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cute! love your fabric choice! i just got this pattern and am trying to figure out which fabric to use first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg! I think you could go a lot of directions since it's such a versatile pattern, and can understand your deliberating over the perfect fabric. Have fun!

      Delete
  3. Great fabrics. I especially love the ribbing on the neck and cuffs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love, love, LOVE this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great fabric find! It looks really good and has really professional look about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the fancy sweatshirt trend:) this is so nice and luxe! That ribbing is fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That is so professional looking! Well done. The inside is really inspiring. I''ve been thinking the inside of many of my things just do not make me happy. I'm trying to do better and REALLY want a serger. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenny! And I JUST realized you moved your blog. I've been wondering where you went! :)

      Delete
  8. I love this style and have sewn a few myself, its a great go to top, jeans and boots and I'm out the door!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I was going for. Sometimes a girl just needs some mindless dressing, right? Thanks!

      Delete
  9. LOOOOOOOOOOVE this fabric! What a great sweatshirt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh lovely! I have been seeing this pattern and yep! You swayed it for me :-). Really like the quilted jersey, it adds an interesting texture.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a really goirgeous top, Amanda. What a great job you did! I prefera stable knit too. So much easier. Thanks for the comments you left on my last two posts. I absolutely love doing the Hong Kong finish. It is time consuming but lately, I'm all about sewing slowly so I don't mind the extra time it takes. And it's always fun to chose a coordinating fabric that makes the inside of the garmant pop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diana! Your unlined jacket with Hong Kong finishes was timely since I just added an unlined jacket to my queue and was wondering how to make the guts nice and neat. I am definitely putting that tutorial to use soon!

      Delete
  12. That looks awesome.
    Here time to get started too. For sure when it is cooler outside.
    Love, Wilma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wilma! I thought I might as well make winter stuff now - it's not like I can wear it until after the baby is born anyway.

      Delete
  13. That fabric is amazing and the finished sweatshirt looks really high end. I'm glad this style still seems to be around for at least another season because I had plans last year and never got round to it, maybe yours will inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Allison! I'm hoping it doesn't go out of style anytime soon because I'm so looking forward to making a few more. Comfortable + in style = win!win!

      Delete
  14. I'm totally mad for your fabric. It is perfect and the workmanship is masterful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So clever! So stylish! I would have never considered working with such a fabric until I saw this, thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very chic! Your work is always so beautiful finished and stylistically very fashion forward too. Thanks for the never-ending inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete