Tuesday, July 15, 2014

NewLook 6974 - Red, white & navy stars and polkadots dress

I made this dress for Rachel to wear for July 4th. Why I always pick this holiday to make her a new dress and not her birthday or Easter I don't know. I'll have to remedy that from now on.


I purchased these two fabrics from Fabric.com earlier this spring. They are both the good quality cottons I like to use for childrens' clothing. The red star fabric is by Michael Miller and the navy w/ white dots is a Riley Blake fabric.


Originally I was planning to use the navy for the straps, bow, and peeking out of the bottom as seen on the example dress on the pattern envelope. However, I quickly realized all the work of those godets would be lost in the business of the fabric, and so used most of the navy for flat bias piping sewn into the godet seams. I could have ordered more navy for the second layer under the dress, but by then was tossing around the idea of not even lining it because the star fabric is pretty thick.


I cut a size 1/2 for the width and a size 3 for the length. This tiny girl continues to slowly grow upwards but hasn't put on much girth, and I'm always so happy Simplicity and NewLook offer patterns in the 1/2 size.


Hanger pictures:


I used bias strips of star fabric to finish off the armholes because I didn't have the lining to do that job. (No picture of them, though - I completely forgot.) Since the star fabric is somewhat thick and the piping added some bulk, I couldn't put in a 5/8" double folded hem per the instructions. Instead I cut a curved hem facing and invisibly machine stitched it to the inside. All seams were finished with the overlocking stitch from my regular sewing machine.


I always enjoy working with cotton fabrics and had fun making this cute little dress. I don't know if I'll make it again since I actually cut into the pattern pieces instead of tracing them like I usually do for girls patterns. There were too many pieces and I just didn't have the will to do it.


40 comments:

  1. That's so dang cute! I'm gonna' have to make on for my 4 yr old granddaughter. I love the fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Красота! Так мило и нежно!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely adorable dress and girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so cute - I do love your options and I do hope you can make it again. The front yoke and the bow are just darling :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So adorable! What a lucky little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very pretty dress, you've done a lovely job x

    ReplyDelete
  7. She looks like a living doll. So cute and you know I'm a fan of her curls. LOL. I'm glad you are able to find 1/2 sizes to get a good fit. She looks so cute in her dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan! I want those curls too - just wet down, brush through and go.

      Delete
  8. So cute! Great job at piping godets - that can be tricky!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute! I love to see how others get creative with kids clothes. Perfect time to mix cottons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! It's always helpful when the pattern lays out where to vary the fabrics - it's not always apparent to me.

      Delete
  10. Amazing Amanda I love the Rachael segments!!! She's like a "miniyou"! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks Carol! She is the spitting image of her dad when he was the same age, but maybe she's got a bit of me in there somewhere too.

      Delete
  11. This is just gorgeous. What a great idea to use the piping to enhance the godets. Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh so cute! As a sewist you must be happy to have a little girl to sew for - little boys are fun but there just isn't the same amount of cuteness in their clothes is there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristy! My poor boys never get anything made for them besides costumes, but I really don't think they care much. I can buy their clothing cheaper then I can make it, and really don't want to put in all the pockets/zippers/metal grommets to make it look RTW.

      Delete
  13. Your daughter is such a cutie. Her dress is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your pattern and fabric choice it's just so beautiful and what a cute little model you just sew such beautiful articles and I love your blog x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this pattern. Have had it a while, so may try it soon. Your creations is darling :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ahhhh, this is so cute!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the highlighting of the godets that you did.
    Just right.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's so seriously cute. I love your fabric combination. Yours is much better looking than the one on the envelop.

    ReplyDelete