Monday, April 14, 2014

Oliver + S School Photo Dress in yellow

Just in time for Spring that is finally arriving in south Texas, I have made Rachel a new dress in that favorite hue of mine. I was waiting for what seemed like years for her to get big enough to fit into these patterns. She finally gained enough girth for them a year or so ago but I was still just lovingly gazing through my collection from time to time. Enough of that! It's time to get busy stitching them up before she gets too big!


The fabric is a nice weight cotton from Fabric.com, my favorite place to buy cottons for kids clothing. I have found that these quality cottons, priced between $7 and $10 per yard, wrinkle far less then the quilting cottons available locally. I don't know about your kids, but mine does not like to sit still and take care not to wrinkle her clothes. ;)


I love the details of this dress - the roll collar, kangaroo front pocket, slightly belled and cuffed sleeves, front yoke and princess seaming, full lining with separate pattern pieces that aren't a repeat of the outer dress. Most toddler dresses from the big 4 just aren't very detailed. I suppose most people who make kid clothing like simpler designs but I prefer a challenge. That's why I'm willing to pay the premium for these Oliver + S patterns.

Speaking of the kangaroo pocket:


 Can you tell she loves it? She is definitely going to be a pocket person. As for sizing, I traced the 18-24 month size for the width and the 2T size for the length and got a perfect fit. This girl is tiny. In August she'll be 4. I'll probably be able to make her a fall version with just an inch or so added to the length and not have to re-trace the pattern.


The zipper I had to special order online from Zipper stop because I couldn't find a good match locally. The button peeking out on the left I happened to have in my stash. It is connected to the other side of the collar with a thread loop. The lining I did in white cotton sheeting from Hancock's fabrics. No pictures of that, though. It's too overcast today to take any interior shots.


This was such a fun little dress to make! I am still in a sewing funk for making stuff for myself but have a number of garments I want to make for her lined up. If you like seeing kids clothes on my blog then you are in for a treat. If not, well, sorry. I've got to go where my mojo takes me.

45 comments:

  1. This looks so sweet and the fabric is beautiful! Regards from Finland :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! And well-presented from this new super model. Greetings from Germany.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks amazing - love this pattern (challenging indeed, but the outcome is so professional)!
    I also prefer to sew with quality cottons for my kids - the pieces do seem to last longer and look better in the long run :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. She looks soooo cute in that dress! Plus, she loves the pockets. A girl after my own heart. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan! I don't get the pocket thing because they aren't that important to me, but I now know you are either born one or you aren't.

      Delete
  5. Darling dress - she's such a cutie pie! I'm in a sewing funk too...surely it will pass in time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa. Yes, they pass, sometimes quicker then others. Here's to hoping you get out of yours asap!

      Delete
  6. The dress is adorable and fun but the real star is your wee dot. She is so cute! What a gorgeous, infectious smile. Rachel ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wee dot - what a cute little name. Thanks for your comment Craftytraveller!

      Delete
  7. Super cute! I just bought my first of those patterns, the hide and seek dress. I'm yet to sew it but having seen this delightful little number, I think I need this one too now. I especially love that cute little collar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debbie! I can't get past the examples for that Hide and Seek dress. The construction lines look good but their fabrics seem to be odd choices. Yours will turn out awesome I'm sure. They are all so well drafted.

      Delete
  8. How cute she is. The dress is beautiful!! We have an almost 5 yr old and loves skirts. But she is tall. A 6. But I will show her this one, you never know.
    Love, Wilma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wilma! I've read that some girls have a problem with the higher neckline, so you may think if she likes turtlenecks or the like first.

      Delete
  9. So cute! makes me want to get out my O&S patterns and get sewing for my nieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! You're such an awesome aunt to sew for nieces!

      Delete
  10. That's one of my favorite Oliver + S patterns ever! Your little doll looks adorable in it. My 9 year old granddaughter is still wearing this so you have lots of years for this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, Cissie! That's good to hear. I like frills for little girls but I sometimes like a bit more mature style too - probably why I was drawn to this pattern. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  11. Just adorable. Your little one is so pretty, I love it when you sew for her and have her 'model'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Coco! Sometimes she cooperates better then others. I didn't get too many smiles out of her that day, for some reason, but at least she isn't running away or spinning.

      Delete
  12. Adorable dress on an adorable child! I look forward to seeing future creations for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sewingkm! I just cut out another dress for her last night. I know most people are interested in grown people clothing but I just need easy stuff right now. Glad to hear that you like the wee stuff too.

      Delete
  13. What an amazing dress! Everything is perfect about it. Your little girl is so, so beautiful.
    Very excited of course that you will be showing more kid's clothing :) This is spot on for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoy sewing for my granddaughter who will be four at the end of June. I am currently starting the Oliver + S Ice Cream Dress for her -- I am wondering if they run true to size. She is hard to fit because she is small but tall so there is always length adjustment. Anyway, I like this dress you made and hope the Ice Cream dress turns out as good.






    s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, not sure if they run true to size, since it seems like every brand of kids clothing has their own sizing. Rachel can wear most things from the Gap, for example, but nothing from Gymboree (too wide.) What is incredibly helpful about Oliver + S patterns is their body measurements chart included on the back of the envelope or in the pattern instructions. No guessing about how much ease is needed, just measure around the chest for a dress and pick your width size accordingly. Then measure her height and cut that for the length. I do not own the Ice Cream Dress pattern but it is CUTE. Good luck!

      Delete
  15. I don't have any little ones to sew for, but I still love to see what you make your darling children. Great pictures.
    Hugs, Joy

    ReplyDelete
  16. So, sew cute! I can't wait for my granddaughter to get big enough to make these dresses for. Like you, I have to wait a bit. You did a great job on the collar and zipper install. Looks really professional. And the pockets! Looks like a great place for rocks when mom is ready to do laundry. :) Would love to meet one day at a sewing gathering. I find so few sewing enthusiasts in our area. Best, Becky from LaVernia, TX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Becky! Haha, rocks in the pockets. So true! I always wish there were fun sewing things to do in this area but alas - Hancock's and JoAnn's is about it. I do know that Pattern review is having one of their meetup weekends in Austin coming up soon. You may try that one.

      Delete
  17. What a cutie!! Oh, yeah, the dress is nice too. Hugs to Miss Rachel and the other two!!!
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a sweet little poppet in a very sophisticated dress.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous dress! My little girl is tiny too.
    xx N

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm totally in love with this dress on this model. It's a perfect pairing. I'd love to see you come join us at the Inspire Us Thursdays link party on www.theinspiredwren.com.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Aww I really like this, it's very sweet.

    https://sewmodiste.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete