Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Vogue 1261 - Black + white colorblocked tee

The idea for this top came while I was making view A last year. I was just starting to notice the colorblocking trend and thought it would be fun to have one side in black and the other in white. During the month of August (aka the month of wadders) I stitched it up using some polyester jersey. The fit was horrible on that first one and the fabric was gross. But worst of all was that it looked like some sort of court jester costume. Hmmm, what now? I decided to cut the front in black and the back in white, a la the Michael Kors Spring 2013 fashion show. He did pants, though.


The fabrics are both bamboo knits, purchased with my September Mood fabrics gift card. For me, the hardest part of making these types of garments is finding two fabrics that are the same content but different colors, especially if I already have it in my mind that I want to use specific shades. Mood has this knit in 21 colors! Here is the black and the white. This is the second time I've used bamboo knit, and it definitely won't be the last. It's incredibly soft and feels like pajamas. (And FYI, I'd just had my daughter a month before those pictures were taken, and was about 25 lbs. heavier.)


Okay, let's talk about fit. I am not a fan of the original drafting of this pattern. See how wide the neckline is? Now picture it with 2 extra inches in the center front and center back. Yeah, that first one was so wide it was falling off my shoulders. I'd made the XS. Also, the ends of the sleeves were drafted too tight and they cut off my arm circulation. My alterations were to pinch out 2 inches from the center front and center back, resulting in 4 inches total eliminated from the width. I cut the front and back on the fold and added 3/4 inches to the bottom of the sleeves on both front and back, tapering to nothing at the underarm. I cut the neck binding 2 inches smaller then drafted.


Then, because I am always looking for little details to make my garments unique, I hemmed the white fabric in black thread and the black fabric in white thread. I used a twin needle to get a coverstitch look.


I have spent the past 2 weeks in pants making hell and needed an instant gratification project. Start to finish this top took approximately 3 hours, and I'm a slow seamstress. That's a quick make! I think it's super cute and the high-low hemline is really on trend right now. This is a great top to throw on when I don't feel like making much effort but still want to look put together.

Vogue 1261

25 comments:

  1. Very cute. I am going to add this to my sewing list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks very nice! Nothing like a quick fix to restore the mojo. Sorry you are in pants making hell...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super Cute! I may have to make one of those. Looks just like something I would wear on a casual day :) Great job! Love the opposite color topstitching on the hems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a gorgeous top and I love the stitching at the hem. I decided to try pants one more time and failed one more time. I am going to try a different pattern, but if I fail this time, I am done with pants.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really cute and I think it looks great on you. Wonderful job, as usual!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cute and good choice for colors. I love bamboo knits having recently discovered them. and I understand your comment about pants making hell, I have been working on pants patterns for about 5 months but getting very close ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love that twin stitching detail! it reminds me of An American In Paris...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute! I love that you used bold black and white, it makes this top look chic. I wish my low effort dress days looked this good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oohh.. In bamboo knits? Thats gonna feel so good! I made the one with the cowl collar, coz the others have too wide.a.neckline, in polyester doubleknit in black! Lol.crazy! But i was very new at.sewing back then and (still)dont know squat abt fabric! Yours look grear on you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a nice detail, the thread matching! I like this pattern a lot, this autumn I want to try the cowl neck. You are so right, no matter how broad your shoulders (and mine are) if you sew up the original neckline it won´t stay put!
    Love your version

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is SUCH an amazing top, Amanda! I just love how fresh and edgy it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a great top. Your detailing is super. I know how you feel about making a quick sewing success when you've been doing time consuming projects.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love, Love, Love your top. I am going to copy you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a perfect color blocking job. This is a unique approach and the extra touches with the contrasting thread was well worth the extra effort. You look flawless.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This top turned out absolutely beautiful! I love the subtle details of changing the thread colors. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow. Great top! I love the surprise of the white in back.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your top is adorable. What a great use of colour blocking! I know what you mean about the neckline and other fitting issues with this pattern.
    Your red dress of last post is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The top is great, as are the other garments I have viewed. I wonder if you would consider adding the gadget to allow someone to follow by email? I would be very grateful as I am disabled and do not get to spend a lot of time on the computer, and it is easier to follow a blog when new posts come right to my inbox.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for your support with your comments on my blog about sewing frustration. I don't like natural fiber fabric too much because it wrinkles so easily and I don't like looking like a wrinkled mess. So the fabric is a "linen-look". I think I will try one more thing to try to fix the dress...and then I might try remaking it, or cutting it off and making it into a shirt...or cutting it off and sewing a skirt onto the bottom...hrm.... But thank you for saying you understand!! I needed the support from a sewing sister!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ooh, your tshirt looks fabulous! I especially love that colour-switch topstitching detail at the hem... ultra cool!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very cool as always! I love the idea of colorblocking the front and back so you don't really get it until the person is walking away.

    ReplyDelete