Thursday, June 30, 2011

Vogue 8706 - Red doubleknit dress w/ asymmetrical neckline


This pattern came out in early spring and I instantly loved it. It's fitted, has interesting design lines, a fun piping finish to the armholes, and would look great in a doubleknit - all elements I adore. I obviously also liked the red dress on the envelope, seeing as mine is identical.

This fabric is a pontaroma knit purchased from Hancock fabrics. I bought it half off with a coupon but I've noticed they've since raised the price by a few dollars. It must be popular stuff.

I had very minimal fit issues with this pattern. Based on the tissue printed measurements, I cut a size 12. I added 3/8" to the hips at each side seam, for a total of addition of 1.5" in that area. The printed bust measurement for a 12 is 34", which should have given me only a few inches of negative ease. However, I had to take out at least another inch from the side seam with the gathers, as it was way too big and ballooned out. Also, the left front underlap was really snug and positioned too far down for me. Raising it 1" took care of the problem. I also raised the gathers on the right side to just below the armpit. Anyone with a fuller bust should really like this pattern, just be aware that you might want to cut the front underlap (piece 2) longer where it joins the side seam.

I'll not be eating any big meals while wearing this. I got out of the habit of wearing Spanx when I was pregnant and now find them terribly uncomfortable. Maybe after the weather cools off I'll change my mind.

I love that the dress is form fitting but has a high asymmetrical neckline and modest length skirt. Contrasting design elements are pleasing to the eye, don't you think?

This is a detail shot of the piping finish along each armhole. The facings are cut as one with their corresponding outer piece, so the only edge that needs to be finished is the armhole. What an interesting way to finish off an opening! The piping pattern piece is included, so there is no guesswork needed.

Here's what it looked like before I pulled in the front piece at the right side, raised the gathers and repositioned the front underlay - way too voluminous for my small girls.

Two posts in one day - am I a crazy productive blogger or what?! Haha. We are going to Lake LBJ for the weekend for some jet skiing, fishing, swimming, family fellowship and, of course, fireworks. I wish all my fellow Americans a fun and safe Independence Day!

34 comments:

  1. Absolutely Love This Dress! Fabulous fit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you hadn't have told us I would have sworn you stole the Vogue dress. :) It looks identical! Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super dress! you have done such a neat job of the armholes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look smokin' in that dress! You make the Vogue model look like the runner up.

    Happy Fourth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks fantastic, color is great on you and thanks for all the info on that pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Incredible dress and you look fantastic in your Vogue creation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very lovely - a perfect L(colour of your choice)D!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous dress! It looks JUST like the example, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous dress on you!
    Your piping around the armholes is just so perfect.
    Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning dress! I love everything about this. The style is so flattering - it's very hot but very elegant. You have achieved a perfect fit and you wear it beautifully. And the colour is fabulous - the perfect shade of red! Have a fun and happy holiday weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They should put your picture on the envelope. You look STUNNING!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look FABULOUS in that dress!!! I have that pattern and intend to make it eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic dress. It looks better on you than the model. I hve it in my stash. Just need to decide on color. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a beautiful dress! I too have this one in my stash, and am thankful you made it, so I see someone else's experience sewing this one up. Have a great time with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You look amazing. I love the piping treatment! If this is you without spanks I am appropriately impressed too :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very sexy without being revealing, and as usual, impeccably finished.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, you look ravishing in this dress.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This dress is breath taking. I think yours looks much better than the vogue pattern picture! Great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fantastic work - at first glance I thought your photo was a third pattern envelope photo! This is just stunning on you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a spectacular dress! Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This pattern was made for you, it is true you look like you stepped out of the pattern catalogue!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a fantastic dress. You look gorgeous!

    The armhole treatment is very clever. What does the inside of the armhole look like? And how does the piping stay on the inside?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oooh, I just bought this pattern and now you are making me want to sew it up right now! This is dynamite on you, especially in the va va voom red. I will keep your tips in mind for fitting a smaller bust.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow! You look amazing! How many kids have you had? I think I might hate you ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. You are stunning in RED! This dress is gorgeous on you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Magnificent!!! How did I miss that pattern? You look stunning!!

    ReplyDelete