Wednesday, June 22, 2011

New fall patterns from McCall's!

I received an email from McCall's this morning advertising their new fall lineup. In the last year or two, they haven't released much that I've been super excited about. I have bought a few here and there, but most of it has looked very 80's to me. However, these new fall patterns look really fresh and modern, and I'll be snapping them up at the next pattern sale!

This first one is 6396. Now it's been a long while since I've worn a jumper, and it might be too young of a look for me, but I really like the plaid view on the left. Especially with the tights and booties they've styled it with. I have several shades of booties and TONS of tights. What do you think? Is it too young of a look for a 34 year old woman?
Several of these new designs combine pleather and fabric, which I find texturally interesting and different. I'll be using my stash of black lambskin instead of pleather. 6397 is yet another jumper. I LOVE the first design with leather bodice, tweed skirt and exposed zipper. I'd add the pockets from the other views.
Top 6401 has a long sleeve version, but I prefer the sleeveless one with shoulder tabs over gathered "sleeves". The collar looks to have a stand which is a necessity for me in shirtmaking.
Skirt 6402 has another leather/fabric combo that I like. The other views are great too, and I usually prefer to have a waistband on a skirt.
The stretchpants resurgence still looks 80's to me, but I adore these from 6404, with leather insets sewn down the legs. They're a little hard to see in this picture, so I've posted the line drawing as well.


Check out this little shrug/cardi/jacket design from 6407. It's super chic in the stripe and contrasting bias along the edges. The back is cinched in so it's got some shape back there. My only problem will be finding the perfect fabrics to make it up in.


Lastly is cardigan 6408. There are several views that I like. Check out the back of the longer version with asymmetrical hemline - so pretty and cozy for winter!

Anyone else excited about these new offering like I am? Did I miss any of your favorites?

21 comments:

  1. I agree with your assessment, and I really like M6397! And no I don't think it is too young of a look for a woman in her 30s if styled correctly as you said. BTW, Simplicity has their Early Autumn line out as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant, I don't think 6396 is too young for a woman in her 30s!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like 6396 (the first one), but I'd have to opt for a lightly longer skirt (about knee length). I've not felt comfortable in mid-thigh skirts since I hit my mid-thirties.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like all of your choices and hope the 6396 isnt for a much younger woman as I plan to make it but in a longer version. I saw these this morning but somehow missed the cardigan I love the longer view you have shown here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always liked jumpers - particularly in a wool.
    I think the second one is better. Although the first one is cute - but the two tone version in black and grey made me think of a cheerleader or dance costume.
    and I wish I could wear pants like those.
    Anyway - it is too hot here to think about winter sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that you will look terrific in any of your picks. I can see you wearing 6396. It's not too young for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, our picks overlapped very little this time. That cardi is my favorite from your picks. Your picks are definitely more fun than mine. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jumpers the trick is not looking too young but looking too old.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Vanessa...I don't think 6396 is too young for a women in her 30's, heck I would wear the entire outfit the model is wearing, tights, boots and all and I'm in my 50's!! It's cute and fun!

    Now I have to run out and get that cardigan 6408!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. IMHO that pinafore (aka jumper) would look great on you, as long as you lengthen the skirt an inch or two so it's above the knee, rather than mid-thigh. Just my opinion of course. :) I actually wish I could pull it off.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love 6397 - have some nice ponte that would do the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love 6396! I would have no qualms about wearing it, and I'm 38. I love the blouse 6401 too. I haven't been too tempted by McCalls in the past either, but now I need to go look at the rest of the collection!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My favourite is the first one. If you ask me, sew that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree! I'm glad I'm not the only one who loved the jumper with the asymmetric hem. It's very Vivienne Westwood IMO. I too love the idea of mixing leather in. In fact I bookmarked a great skirt from a pre fall line on Neiman Marcus that has a leather dropped waist. I totally missed that cardigan though...love that too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are not to old to wear the styles you picked. You can carry it off easy. I loved the kids patterns they released too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. 6396-I'd wear it and I'm 54! It's cute but you would definitely look better in it than me!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am totally drawn to the top jumper! I do not think it is too young for 34. Youthful, but not young.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i looked up McCalls 36404 and it is a discontinued pattern for men. Where can I get the new one for women?

    ReplyDelete
  19. oi sou brasileira e achei lindo este blog .lindas roupas que vc faz .tambem gosto de costurar beijos ja to ti seguindo

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think it all depends on the fabric you choose. Definitely not too 'young' for you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The jumper is definitely not too young for 34. I can totally see you in something like that. :)

    Love that last cardigan - I hadn't gone through their new stuff yet and that one is definitely going on my list.

    ReplyDelete