Sunday, June 12, 2011

Butterick 5645 - Green & yellow knit cowl top

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions for my recent dress fiasco. I have decided to save the bodice and replace the bottom with a straight black skirt in black wool crepe. BUT, I am totally sick of working on that project. So I did what I always do to cleanse my palate - make something easy out of a knit.

This fabric is a polyester knit from Gorgeousfabrics.com which was purchased several months ago. Y'all know by now my love of all things yellow, right? This is one crazy print, and I needed something simple so as not to cut it up too much. And with cowl necklines being so popular right now, I decided to jump on a current trend while it's still current.

I made a small because the finished bust measurement printed on the pattern was around 34". Well, it is A LOT bigger then that, which I'm okay with because it's suppose to be really loose. Probably you would not need an FBA if that is usually a concern. Also it is not nearly as blousey around the stomach area as the picture depicts. I still really love it, despite those small quibbles.

I did cut 1 1/2" off the bottom before I sewed the elastic casing. Also, I finished the back neckline with bias tape for a neater finish. The top has a tendency to pull towards the back a bit which throws the sleeve slits off the center of the shoulder. To remedy this I installed lingerie straps with snap closures and now it stays put.


Here at the shoulder you can see the back neckline finish and lingerie strap. This was my first time to make them and I'll definitely be doing it again - super easy!

I'm busy working on a simple yellow linen dress. Have a great rest of the weekend!

30 comments:

  1. Cute top amanda! I love your choice of print!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute print, cute top! Don't you love fast projects that come together well for a pick-me-up?

    I would love to see a technique post on how you did the lingerie strap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute. I just love how the large motif hits at the small of your back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. very pretty - good choice of pattern to go with that print

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great top! It looks so good on you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty top, perfect fabric for the garment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute summer top. I like that the design of the top can be casual or dressy depending on what you wear with it. Love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  8. that is so cute. It is a perfect summer top. You are right that it is a great pattern for that print:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree, cute summer top! I love yellow too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute! I love the sleeves - or lack of sleeves. This will be great for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those prints are so in right now. You look so cute in the top. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a very nice top!! The fabric and the pattern choice are perfect! Thanks or the tip on the lingerie strap!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like the split sleeves -- and a lingerie strap? I should have those on all my tops!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super cute pattern. I have some knit you might like- I can't really wear green and it's got green flowers. PM me if you're interested and I'll send you a photo. If you want it I only ask that you pay shipping- it's a nice knit.

    Wish I could wear it- yours is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a fun summer top. Love those split sleeves. So glad you are going to be able to salvage the previous dress. I think it will look great with black wool crepe on the lower half.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cute! Love the sleeves on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a pretty summer top! I love the colors in your fabric!

    Blessings

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very pretty! You pull off these prints really well. I am envious.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So cute and I was glad to see your post because this pattern came home with me last week and is out on the sewing table right now. I was concerned about the back side of the knit showing in the draped fabric at the armholes, but on your top it doesn't. And the waist/hip bagginess. Glad to know the picture is inaccurate.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I also bought this pattern last week. I am planning to make the version with lace on the shoulder. thanks for confirming that the pattern is big. I'll be using some Marc Jacobs fabric that I just ordered from Fabric Mart. So looking forward to make it! I really like your version!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a pretty top. Love the drapey look. I'd be inclined to make this up as a dress as well.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Another lovely top! Lucky we've got you to preview all these patterns for us....thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. As always you have picked exactly the kind of fabric that I would buy - it's gorgeous. I hadn't noticed this pattern but I am off to order it straight away - I like all the different sleeve/neck options. Yours looks wonderful on you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I definitely am feeling the love for that print! The sleeves really give this some oomph. Love the look!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a nice print, and it looks very nice on you too. I'm glad that you chose a fairly simple unstructured look, it enhances the fabric nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Luscious and lovely, Amanda! Very nicely constructed as always! It looks like you got your pre-preggie figure back. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow!! I'm loving this! It is always such a treat to visit you...like a kid in a candy store...you always have something yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is a really cute top and looks great on you. I too am on a yellow journey. Love that colour.

    ReplyDelete