Sunday, May 10, 2009

BWOF 2-2009-124A - White floral dress w/ red piping

Lots of people have made this simple little dress with great results, so I thought I'd follow suit.

This fabric is a stretch sateen, as Jo-Ann's calls it. I originally bought it for a pair of capris but have since decided I don't like prints on my butt except in skirt form. I just love the yellow and red color combo.

I love the back neckline of this. Red piping was added for a little something extra on a plain design and also to match the red linen jacket I just completed. Plus it ties in with one of my favorite pair of shoes.

Here it is with the jacket. My anniversary is on Wednesday and I think this will be perfect for a casual dinner out.

Neckline close-up:

The back:

Here's a few inside details. I did my usual french seams at the shoulders and dress sides. Bias tape covers the facings, back seam and waist seam.

This is the side under the arm opening. I simply folded the fabric back following the stitching of the cap sleeves.

This was so easy and fast to sew. I kept looking it over thinking this didn't take long, have I made some mistakes? Am I sure there's no fit issues? Well, this was suppose to be my second garment for the mini-wardrobe contest at Patternreview.com. I was on my third item, skirt 101A from the April issue of BWOF. Here is the line drawing for it:
This is a fabulous pattern. I really love it. I do not, however, love my fabric choice. I should have chose a navy twill or stretch twill, but instead picked this cheap polyester stretch suiting that is a tad on the thin side. I cannot get a crisp hemline and I do not like the way it hangs. It looks cheap. I don't have time to go buy more fabric, wash it, cut it out, and sew it up along with the matching blouse. Too much is going on around here this month. Here is a picture of the skirt:

I will make this skirt again, maybe when we get home from vacation. Now I am off to the mall for a little shopping with my mother. Happy mothers day to you all!

30 comments:

  1. That dress is too cute. I love the red piping - it does give it that something extra. Sorry about your skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How or where did you learn to fit your clothing? You do such a nice job and the workmanship is impeccable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the dress, the piping is perfect, and with the jacket and shoes you look too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your dress is lovely, and fits perfectly. I like how you always finish the seams of your garments. You're adorable. I'd like to suggest that the skirt would have benefited from underlining. Unfortunately we don't have hind sight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG I love the dress. The piping absolutely makes it. What a great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous dress! Great fit, chic style and I love the combination of the yellow floral print with the red piping. It looks great with the jacket too. Well done! You are motoring along with this SWAP.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The dress looks perfect. The red piping was a fantastic idea!
    It's unfortunate you don't like the shirt, it looks great from here :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shame about the skirt, but that dress is just stunning. It is so bright and cheerful and the red piping is perfect. Great outfit with the jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the dress. I am on my second version of it! Isn't an easy dress? I will have to remember the piping idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Incredible dress, the piping is perfect touch for the dress. Also, it looks so pretty with your jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how the red piping gives it that extra punch that makes it special. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the dress and the red piping really makes it pop. It looks great with your jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That fabric is lovley for your dress. I'm glad you didn't make pants with it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Too bad about the skirt. The mistake I still make most often is choosing the wrong fabric for a garment.

    But the beautiful dress more than makes up for the skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous dress, Amanda. Another inspiration! I really love all your choices of pattern/fabric/style. Every time I visit your blog, I know I'm in for a treat! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your dress! The floral fabric and red piping is perfect. Your sewing is impeccable.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very cute dress (and shoes)!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your dress looks really great. I'm just starting to pick my items to make for the contest. I better get a move on!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bravo! Very well done. Lovely outfit for an anniversary dinner. Happy Anniversary!
    C

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a cute outfit, especially with the piping.

    ReplyDelete
  21. SO classic, elegant AND cute all in one... really nice work amanda. you really do impress me. SO pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great dress, love the piping idea. I'm definitely going to make that one again, and I also have plans for the skit as well so glad to hear it's a great pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for all the sweet comments!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. The dress looks wonderful and your fabric choice is perfect! It has a certain oriental scent, don't you think?! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow this is adorable Amanda! Love the piping, a perfect touch. I hope you'll try the skirt again, it was one of my favorites from that issue too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I adore your dress. You look fantastic wearing it, especially with that hot red jacket!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great looking dress. I really need to make this one myself. The red piping is a great touch.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh, I love it! That red piping is the perfect finish. I love how you styled it with the red shoes, too!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete