Monday, May 2, 2016

McCall's 7351 - Sleeveless shirtdress in white, green and black floral

Shirt dresses seem to be everywhere right now and this particular pattern is getting a lot of online love. I actually bought this pattern for the pointed hemline view, but decided to give it a go with a longtime stash fabric that I believe I bought locally a number of years ago.


This is a great pattern with lots of nice details - front button band, collar with collar stand, bias bound armholes, pockets, shirttail hemline - but what I love most about it is the way it skims the body but is still loose and comfortable. I've seen this dress belted by a number of others but I plan to wear mine just as you see it here. I cut my typical size 12 and made zero changes for fit. The length was a bit long for my preference so I did cut off 2" before hemming.


This fabric was not fun to sew with. It's 100% polyester and really resisted ironing. I love the print, though, and the fabric has a gridline texture that can be seen in the below close-up. Even though I hated working with it, the dress does not wrinkle in the least when it's worn. It will be great to throw into a suitcase and take on trips.


I love patterns that have pleated center backs instead of gathering. They lay nice and flat against the skin.


Of course I love all the topstitching on this dress and chose to do mine in black. Originally I sewed on black square buttons, but they completely disappeared on the dress so I replaced them with some simple white ones. I will always opt for pockets on the bodice of garments to give my bustline a little oomph.


When I make this pattern again I plan to raise the armholes about 1/2" as they're a little low. My undergarments don't show but I have low-set armpits (if that even is a thing) so keep that in mind if you're planning to make this dress.

30 comments:

  1. Looks great, really suits you. The print on this fabric is gorgeous too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like circle skirts on me - too much fabric around my hips! Your dress looks nice and sleek, slumber than pattern diagram. You didn't change though? I'd consider this pattern. It's great on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's two different skirts included with the pattern - a fuller one and an A-line. I used the A-line for this dress.

      Delete
  3. very cute. interesting how there are suddenly so many similar shirtdress patterns to choose from.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful. I too love the fun print. The fabric gave you a hard time but you won!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you're right. Victory!!! Thanks Tomasa!

      Delete
  5. That's a nice print for a shirt dress. I never noticed that pattern before, but now that I've seen your version, I'm thinking of sewing one up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really lovely! Great print, and I find shirtdresses to be so practical for such a variety of occasions! Also, now that you mention it, I think I have low set armpits too! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good, I'm not alone. Hahahaha. Thanks Sallie!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful pattern and dress. That fabric is really modern and fresh. 'Looks great on you. Yes, often the pattern armzyche are too low or too tight. "Low-set armpits", that sounds possible, lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So beautiful! The shape of the back with the waist detailing and curved hem looks particularly stunning on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Helene! It's a bit high-waisted, but I'm okay with that as it's for casual wear only.

      Delete
  9. That settles it - I need this pattern. I've been admiring Idle Fancy's versions, and now yours has tipped me over the edge into a purchase!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, well, she keeps beating me to everything. Her versions are really nice. You definitely need the pattern, especially now that McCall's is having that shirt dress sew-along. Thanks for your comment Janet!

      Delete
  10. It's a lovely shirtdress, great fabric and fit. Maybe this needs to be the year I finally make myself one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Allison! I'm surprised you don't have one in your closet, given your affinity for casual dresses in the summer. Get to that lady! ;)

      Delete
  11. those colors are megawatt beautiful on you! your impeccable work is always so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  12. perfection. Sorry to hear that the fabric was a bugger but it will wear well. You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm loving shirt dresses too. Love that this pattern has a waistline and can be worn without a belt.

    ReplyDelete