Saturday, April 30, 2016

Jalie 2921 - Sleeveless scarf-collar top in white striped metallic knit

I've used this pattern twice before, once with 3/4 sleeves and once with short sleeves. The short sleeve version was purged awhile back because the ties were really long and didn't look very good tied into a bow, but the silk jersey version is a nice basic that gets worn to church from time to time.


I used Mood Fabric's oyster/brown gray metallic striped cotton jersey knit. It's a thinner knit perfect for a top and has a matching larger stripe. Putting the two together in a simple garment would be a really fun look. I'll have to comb through my patterns to see if I can come up with something for fall.


Since I wanted more of a casual look and didn't want to tie the scarf into a bow, I cut the scarf shorter and on the fold. I cut a size T and made fabric facings for the armholes. A twin needle was used to hem the armholes and bottom hem.


This fabric has a subtle metallic sheen to it. I'm kind of a Magpie when it comes to fabric selection. If it's shiny or brightly colored my brain says, "Oooh, pretty! Come to Mama!"


This top match a ton of stuff in my closet and acts like a neutral. The skirt I'm wearing was made pre-blog, but I posted it way back in 2008. I recently lopped off 2 inches so I could wear it with flats in a casual setting. I'm all about the flats these days.

Here are some dressform pictures:


This was a fun and simple top to whip up. I have several other things to photograph and blog, provided I can get my photographer to cooperate. ;)

Note: This fabric was purchased with my Mood Fabrics monthly allowance, as part of my participation in the Mood Sewing Network.

18 comments:

  1. Gorgeous top! It fits you beautifully and way to go with the matching of the side seams!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This couldn't have been so easy to make- look at that perfect pattern matching! Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just a bunch of pins really. I'm careful to line it up when I'm pinning the seam together and then just stitched once. Thanks Miss J!

      Delete
  3. Nice sparkly fabric. Love the width of the tie around the neck. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so impressed, Amanda. Matching stripes is not a usual occurrence when you buy RTW! This top is so classy, and you have created something timeless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, those mismatched RTW stripes make my eyes twitch. Nobody but a seamstress even notices anymore but I just can't buy that stuff. Which is why it's handy I sew! Thanks Loretta!

      Delete
  5. Very nice! I am always drawn to tops made from this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenny! It's kind of gone out of popularity among sewing bloggers but I think it's still a current look.

      Delete
  6. Such a lovely wardrobe addition! I love a good sparkly fabric too! haha! Love the fabric facings for the armholes, that's such a smart way to finish jersey. I could see this working well into so many outfits - definitely an inspiration to add a few more workhorse separates to my me-made wardrobe!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks Sallie! There was a pattern piece for facing the armholes of my last jersey dress and I just loved the outcome.

      Delete
  7. Such a cute top. I made that pattern once long ago, I need to make it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do need another one - it's one of the quickest patterns to make thanks to the interesting construction. Thanks Faye!

      Delete
  8. Great top Amanda. Such a perfect wardrobe staple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margo! It's surprising how much it goes with!

      Delete
  9. What a nice beautiful top. You matched up your stripes perfectly. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete