Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Vogue 1283 - Navy viscose knit asymmetric dress

This is the garment I made in October for the Mood Sewing Network. I kept putting off posting it here, thinking I would find some time to take some interior/closeup pictures. Alas it has been an extremely busy month and is about to get even busier with the holidays upon us, so I'm just going to write this post with the pictures I already have.

I used Vogue 1283, a Tom and Linda Platt designer pattern from 2012 that now looks to be out of print. I always thought this design was really interesting with its asymmetrical gathers on the front and back of the dress. The cut-in-one sleeves were never my favorite though. Extra fabric folded up under my armpit is not a look I enjoy. I thought I might be able to modify the pattern to have set-in sleeves instead, and traced the armhole curves from another long sleeved knit dress pattern. I also used the sleeve pattern piece from that pattern. Success! I always love when a frankenpattern comes together.


I knew I’d need something thin to handle all the gathers and I also wanted a fabric with some weight so that the dress would drape nicely. Enter this midnight blue solid viscose knit from Mood Fabrics. I swatched it since I’d never worked with viscose knit before. The description on Mood’s website is accurate, it is a dense fabric with a beautiful drape.


This pattern is lined with the same fabric as the dress. If planning to make this design, don’t do what I did and think you don’t need the stay tape along the gathers and neckline. I don’t know if it was the fabric or not, but those gathered areas and neckline really stretched out when they came in contact with my iron. I went back with clear elastic to reinforce those areas. I added 2.5″ to the hemline and then took a 1.5″ hem whip-stitched by hand in place. I also whip-stitched the sleeve hems. I usually hem knits with a twin needle but wanted a cleaner finish for this dress.


This fabric will show iron marks so iron on the reverse side or use a press cloth with it. It was easy to work with and very luxurious feeling – almost like a thick silk jersey. I also already laundered this dress by washing it on the handwash setting and laying it flat to dry. Other than needing a slight pressing it came out without any change in appearance.


I'm super pleased to add another long sleeved dress to my closet. Here's my little photo-bomber:


Note: This fabric was purchased with my Mood Fabrics monthly allowance, as part of my participation in the Mood Sewing Network.

42 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous! You look so different...the navy blue and your hair down...very sophisticated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katherine! I get a lot more volume when I don't straighten my hair. And I don't have too much navy in my closet but I do like it and plan to make more.

      Delete
  2. Very nice dress, Amanda. Great job, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the this dress. Georgeos!
    If you wanna see my Voque 1283, use this link:

    https://naehfreundin.blogspot.de/search?q=1283

    All the best,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. The whole outfit is perfectly sophisticated. The dress is gorgeous and I love the navy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great dress. Your photo-bomber is so cute. She has grown so quickly. It just seems yesterday that you were pregnant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicki! She definitely has grown into a big girl lately and is really hysterical. I'm so glad I got at least one girl! 😋

      Delete
  6. Great look Amanda! You did an amazing job hacking the pattern by changing the sleeve. Beautiful as always, you and your cute little photo bomber!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Margo! I love that aspect of sewing one's clothing - gotta make stuff that suits and makes me happy!

      Delete
  7. I agree with the first commenter--you look so different! You look great with your hair down! Did you braid it and then undo the braid to get the waves?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, this is my natural curl. I just have been straightening it forever. I started working out on a regular basis in September and just can't keep up with doing that anymore. Plus it was time for a change. 😊

      Delete
  8. Very nice look for you. Your daughter is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is so gorgeous! I love the dress, the color! And your girl is so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just lovely. Thks for all the tips on the fabric - and Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a great version, and the sleeves are a nice change. I have always been intrigued by that pattern. love your curly hair too, on you and your photobomber :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks Beth! She got her curly hair gene from my side of the family but hers is so much prettier then mine.

      Delete
  12. Beautiful dress and a great color on you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aminat! I need to work with navy more often for sure!

      Delete
  13. Such a shame this is out of print because this is a really interesting pattern - it looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Vogue still has it for sale if you wanted to get it. Sometimes they mark those patterns down pretty low.

      Delete
  14. Beautiful dress. Great work as always! I am inspired by your attention to detail in customizing your projects. Also love your hair naturally curly and shorter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynne! It's so much easier to manage. Just scrunch and let air dry.

      Delete
  15. Love the new hair! Great dress and I like your change to the sleeves, you make it sound really easy, I guess it is!? It's always good to have dresses like this in the closet that can be dressed up or down, washed easily and it sounds like the fabric feels luxurious to wear too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Allison! It was time for a change! I've heard that if all you do with your hair is pull it in a ponytail to get it out of the way, it's really not doing your face any favors.

      Delete
  16. As usual Amanda, a beautiful garment! I hope you & your family have a Christ filled Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. One of my favorite dresses. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just found your blog very recently and really am in complete AWE of your skill, talent and creativity - and you are beautiful, too! Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely dress, well sewn, as always! Although I think you could wear a potato sack and it would look cute. : )

    ReplyDelete
  20. Another comment on your most elegant dress. It is perfect! How lovely you look with your hair down and wavy!! Your skills are awesome!

    ReplyDelete