Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Simplicity 1462 - Turquoise floral fitted cotton top

It seems like I never have enough casual tops. Just when I find one I really like it gets a stain or a hole or a funky smell that just won't come out no matter how much it's laundered. Also I never want to make them. Why is this? Are they without challenge? Do I hate my top half and therefor never want to dress it? I'm going to have to remedy this. (But not in the immediate future. My current queue is all designer dresses and outerwear. Ha!)


This fabric is a beautiful cotton print from designer Anna Maria Horner and was purchased online a year or so ago. I bought it for my daughter but I loved the print so much that I decided to use it for myself instead. How selfish of me. In my defense I knew she would outgrow whatever I made for her in a single season. This way it can live forever in my closet.


I only had 1.5 yards of it and wanted something slightly structured. Simplicity 1462 has been in my stash for a few months now. I adore the cap sleeves in this version and the front ribbon embellishment. This floral is lineal and the pattern pieces needed to be carefully laid out so that the flowers lined up horizontally and no twinning occurred. The flowers aren't perfectly matched from seam to seam because that would be impossible in a princess seamed garment like this one. Rather I was trying to make it so no two flowers of the exact same were right next to each other. I was mostly successful.


In order to make a small bust adjustment without too much fiddling I cut the size 10 in the front through the bust tapering out to a 12 at the waist and below. The shoulders and back were cut in a 12 as well. It was a bit snug so I took only a 3/8" seam allowance at the sides. I cut 2" off the hemline and took a 2" hem. This shirt is drafted to be pretty long.


Those two flowers under my right arm aren't twins of each other but they do bug my eyes a little. Good thing that's under an arm where it's not too noticeable. When I attached the neckbinding and got the inside all slipstitched down, I noticed that the front and back neckline gaped away from my body. This is because the neckbinding that was drafted for this pattern is way too big. I carefully unpicked the whole thing - after a few gusty sighs - and cut 3/8" off the neckline, then reattached my binding. It would have been easier if I'd had more fabric to work with but I was on fabric fumes at this point. Happily this is a sturdy cotton and didn't give me too many problems. If you are contemplating making this pattern, I would go down about 2 sizes for the neck binding.

Dressform pictures:


This print is much more vivid and accurate in these inside shots. You'll definitely see me coming from a long way off!


I made french seams at every inside seam except the zipper side and the center front. For the center front I extended the slit facing down to the hemline to give the ribbon a sturdy place to be stitched to. It looks neater as well. The hem I whip-stitched by hand.


The pattern calls for bias tape to finish off the underarm seams. I couldn't find any to match and didn't have enough fabric to make bias facings, so I used some aqua silk crepe de chine left over from a failed project. I also used it to hong-kong finish the edges of the seam where the zipper in inserted, but it's not really visible from this picture.


That's the last of my warm weather sewing! It's still hot as anything here but I am moving on to fall now. I never get to all the cold weather projects I want to make because I get extremely busy with holiday preparation and then get tired of the cold really quickly and can't wait for summer. Every year my sewing mojo disappears around the new year too. This year I am starting early on long sleeves and outer wear and hope to make up some of those long planned winter garments.

My oldest and my youngest

60 comments:

  1. I dream of having your sewing skills! What a unique fabric that deserves more than one season for certain. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well sewn and very pretty. Enjoyed seeing a couple of your kidlets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy! They always do enjoy photobombing lol.

      Delete
  3. Cute top and great ribbon colour matching too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicki! Finding the right color ribbon was a bit of a challenge. I finally settled for one that was in the same color family but that didn't match completely.

      Delete
  4. Amazing Amanda as usual!! Look at those boyz!!!! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cute! I made this pattern with the short sleeves just a few months ago in linen, and now I want to make this version, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did?! I guess I'm just copying everything you do now. I'm going to have to go back and look at yours. Thanks Jenny!

      Delete
  6. Your sewing is always impeccable and this is no exception. The top is very pretty and I love everything about it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As always,your workmanship is flawless and looks beautiful on you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen! Nathan is in a weird smiling stage lol.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful work! And, thank you for mentioning that a piece of fabric came from a failed project. Honestly, knowing that someone as skilled as you still has some wadders makes me feel a little better about mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think wadders happen to everyone at every level of sewing. They're just part of it. I must have a least one ever month or two unfortunately. Thanks for your comment Angela!

      Delete
  10. What a beautifully and neatly sewed top, inside and out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your children are so sweet! That is a neat photo of you three. The blouse is pretty nice too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That older one is a little sour from time to time, lol. Pre-teen attitude is currently kicking my butt. ;)

      Delete
  12. What a gorgeous cotton print! I love the small sleeves & raglan style. And those boys! So cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your boys are so handsome! And your top is so pretty--just love that fabric. Always love seeing the insides of your garments.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You always have such well crafted results. It is obvious that you really devote a lot of thought and effort in getting the details and the look perfect.
    You are truly an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosamond! I do spend a lot of time thinking about sewing projects. I really enjoy the process. Now I can't say I also enjoy every other aspect of sewing. Cutting out - egad!

      Delete
  15. Haha I was just wondering if you have always summer!!!
    I really like this one and the back is so perfect. I am too picky in the stores and check and double check and patterns are sometimes just horrible. And then not even talking about corduroy.....
    So cute this picture!! Wow your "little" one is not little anymore. How old is your oldest?
    Greetings from the "North"

    Wilma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, we have winter too. And about one week of fall and one week of spring. Haha! My oldest is 11 now and my baby will be 1 in October. Thanks for you comment Wilma!

      Delete
  16. You are right about allowing this beautiful fabric live forever. The flower placement is so-designer. I would have loved to see it in a summer dress style. Maybe in a different life. Thank you for sharing ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I so wanted a dress for it too! However, I only had 1.5 yards and it was only 44" wide. It needed to be a fuller skirt style for the weight of the cotton and I just couldn't make that work. Thanks D!

      Delete
  17. You take SUCH care Amanda, I always enjoy seeing your creations! I don't know how you manage to sew anything with such a busy, young family. LOVED the picture of you & the kids!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, well, they do take up most of my time. Life is crazy these days. That's why I only get one or two things done a month. I wouldn't trade it for anything though. Thanks Rosalind!

      Delete
  18. Love the photo of your oldest and youngest. The top is really cute and the ribbon trim is perfectly sewn ( no puckers). I know what you mean about not sewing casual tops. Making challenging items is much more fun but I'm sewing a few casual tops in rayon challis for the fall which is perfect for Texas weather. karen in Houston

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sewingkm! I need to give rayon challis a chance, I don't think I've used it before.

      Delete
  19. This is absolute perfection! I love the style, the fabric, everything! I really liked the way the one side looks like a stem going up, and then blooming into 2 flowers...funny that it bothers you! :-) Thanks for the inspiration you provide through your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks great! I love the colors on you! I am never very interested in sewing tops, either, which is silly because most of the time I'm wearing jeans so I always need tops! It's all dresses in the summer and jackets in the winter... silly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Sonja, this winter I'm doing a bunch of designer dresses and outerwear. The dresses might get worn once or twice only but I so enjoy the process and the challenge. Plus not many make them up and I feel sorry for the neglected patterns! ;)

      Delete
  21. Such a pretty top and what lovely photo at the end Gorgeous kids!

    ReplyDelete
  22. How lovely. It isn't selfish at all to make sure this gorgeous fabric is seen for more than one season.

    ReplyDelete
  23. So beautiful. Looks much more than a casual top! Love your design skills. Inspiring how you were able to finesse it with very little fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I did have 1.5 yards. If it weren't for trying to line up the print it would have easily fit on less. Thanks Lynne!

      Delete
  24. Lovely, I really like the straight panels of aqua down the front as contrast to the pattern sections. Very beautiful work as ever.
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I thought that was nice and different to break up the print. Plus I always like interesting details around my small bust area - kind of evens me out visually. Thanks Sarah!

      Delete
  25. I love, love, love the fabric. It is colorful and vibrant and fun. Your top is beautiful both inside and out. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such a pretty top! Impeccable as always!I also lose my desire to sew in the winter... hopefully this year will be different for both of us!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Such a pretty top and just look at those good looking fellas !

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a pretty little top! and as gorgeously sewn as all your creations are. I thoroughly enjoyed looking at those beautiful insides, thank you!
    I don't blame you for appropriating the fabric, the print is super cute, and the colours are lovely on you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. That is such a pretty top! Great job/skills on matching fabric at the seams. It really does take talent to handle a fabric with a fussy design.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is just beautiful, and the finishing is just perfection. Someday I want to lurk your closet! I covet almost everything you make. You have such skill in picking fabric, patterns, and then matching them up to make a lovely garment. When I grow up, I want to sew like you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Beckster! What a lovely compliment!

      Delete