Thursday, February 19, 2015

Blogger meet-up

This past Saturday I had the awesome pleasure of meeting Renee of Miss Celie's Pants in person during her mini break to San Antonio. Even though she's done this sort of thing dozens of times all over the world, this was the first time I've ever meet someone from the online sewing community. We went for BBQ on a beautifully sunny and warm day and sat talking for couple hours. She and Jordan are such interesting and fun people, and I thoroughly enjoyed my meal with them. Plus all my kids were home with Justin so I got to have an actual adult conversation without interruption!


She brought me gifts:


Three long zippers that will be perfect for outerwear and two kinds of fun buttons in various sizes. I brought her... nothing, because I didn't know that's what you do when you meet a fellow sewist. Sorry Renee!

We went for lunch instead of doing something like fabric shopping because there's seriously no places like that here except JoAnn's and Hancock Fabrics, and who wants to add polyester to their stash? San Antonio might have a lot of stuff to do and see, but practically no sewing or fashion community.

20 comments:

  1. O how nice!! ANd a BBQ?! Wonderful. Okay, I turn my furnace a little higher and think about it... Brr, it's freeze cold here. I am jealous, that's sure.
    Love,Wilma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you two had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. NICE! I've done about 4 meetups now with sewers and it is seriously the best! It's one thing to interact online and just warmth and fuzz inducing to do so in person!

    You two look great too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much fun, I've been following both of you for quite a while and it's so nice to see my two favorite sewing bloggers meet in real life! Can't wait to see what you'll do with those zippers and buttons!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love meeting sewists in person! So fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you two got to meet up! And really, lunch was a great choice... I saw Renee's post and got hungry! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank *you*. Seriously. I was so nervous asking you to meet up! Gifts are not at all required. I've in fact never managed to bring one until now. I just think of all your amazing coats and thought you might like them. And, it's generous of you to say we're interesting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's always fun when you get to meet another sewing blogger live and in person. I know you guys had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh this looks like such a great time! And I fully approve the decision to go for some Texas BBQ at picnic tables rather than fabric shop. Sounds way yummier!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love to meet up with other sewing bloggers.
    On my trip to Tokyo and Kyoto next month I will be meeting two.
    It's not 'required' to bring a gift, the meal counts as one - especially a local specialty.
    The first sewist I'm meeting - I don't know at all. She just comments in the Facebook sewing group we both belong to. I probably will not be bringing a gift. The second? We've met several times and she's comfortable with me enough to ask me to bring certain interfacing samples - different brands in Japan. I am bringing her items i know she can't get in Japan.
    I hope you get an opportunity to meet other sewing bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also would not know the protocol, but I think it would be fun to get together! I have never met any of my blogging friends in real life either.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amanda, I really enjoy following your blog and don't always comment. I am in SA too and the ONLY other person I have ever met in real life who sews garments in town is Susie Hamilton, she makes the costumes for the Magik Theatre. I agree that there is no sewing community here. Or if there is, I can't find them. My skill is nowhere near yours but I would love to have show and tell one day! I feel like other "big" cities have a more social sewing community.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh how nice! Two of my favorite sewing bloggers!!
    We'll all just pretend we were there with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is so fun to meet other sewists! And to eat outside--how great is that?!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely photos. I am not a seamstress but would love to learn, so I enjoy looking at others' creative talents. Wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So fun!! Glad you had a nice time!

    ReplyDelete