Thursday, June 30, 2011

July Burda picks

Well, I've had a dress finished for several days but keep forgetting to take any pictures before twilight. Hopefully I'll get those taken tonight and posted before we are off to the lake for July 4th. In the meantime, here are my favorites from this month's Burda.

One of my favorites is top 105. I like the front folded ruffle-type treatment and that the bottom and skinny strap are made from a solid color. It's not that fitted but is sheer so that some body shape can be seen through it.

Dress 122 is a simple jersey style with cinched waist. I bought a really fun belt from Target several months ago that needs a simple solid colored dress to wear it with. The armholes of this dress have two different widths of bands - each folded together so that the unfinished edges are not showing (hard to explain) - but I'm wondering if 5 layers of fabric might be too thick in one area.
This next one is blouse 113B. The sheer fabrics along the neck, sleeve edges and ties are left unfinished. I like it - it's different and interesting.
Okay, so I love the IDEA of dress 130 - the colored lace, unlined sleeves, piping down the sides forming the outsides of the pockets. Theirs is too boxy for me and the neckline too high. I might decide to use this design with a more fitted pattern.

I've already seen dress 131 made up on patternreview.com with piping along the neckline and sleeve edges. LOVE! What a cute square neckline and cap sleeves!

Five designs that I really like from one month's offerings is great for me. I also appreciated their organza butterfly DIY instructions as well as the fabric necklace shown on page 58. (Am I crazy to like it? Would you wear something like that?) The preview for next month doesn't look too promising but maybe Burda will surprise me again.

9 comments:

  1. I agree with most all of your picks. I got my issue yesterday, and I too LOVE dress 131. I'm gonna have to head over to patternreview to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blouse 113 tops a lot of people's list, including my own. I just finished a very similar top but in knit. DH's comment when I wore it was "cute, really really cute".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the elastic waist dress, though any plans to make it are aways off. For the armholes, what if you used a chiffon or mesh to keep the bulk to a minimum? I've seen that on RTW tops and dresses and I think it's a fun way to add a creative touch that isn't too crazy. You could either do a two-tone or keep it all one color. Just wanted to throw it out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lace and sheer fabrics seem to be very in right now. I really like them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great picks! I don't have easy access to Burdas now that I'm out of Germany, and I haven't been too inspired by what I've seen anyway, but this makes me wish I could find this issue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oi sou do brasil aqui a ultima moda e o xdrez e ai o que esta na moda .muito lindads suas roupas amei passa la no meu blog ti espero beijos

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jennifer Lopez is on HSN today and she has worn a couple of dresses similar in style to 122. They look terrific and I think you will also look terrific in one. I can't wait to see your fabric choice if you get around to making this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the top blouse and the lace dress - high neck included.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was pleasantly surprised by this July Burda, there's some good stuff in there, and yes even the crafty necklace looks pretty good, might be good technique for embellishing a simple top.

    ReplyDelete