Friday, April 22, 2011

Vogue 1176 - Michael Kors brown w/ white polka dots dress

This is my Easter dress for 2011. I didn't get one made last year while I was pregnant and was determined to finish it this time around. (And for the record this was completed by Wednesday evening, but I was asked to help out at my church's AWANA club meeting that night, so am just getting around to taking pictures today.)

Gorgeous, right? I LOVE this design. It's simple, sophisticated and a little retro all at the same time. The pattern was a dream and all fit together perfectly. I couldn't wrap my mind around how that front tucked area worked until I actually had the fabric cut out and followed the instructions.

I knew when I first saw this pattern that I wanted it in a polka dot like the envelope dress. Only I couldn't find a polka dot in grown up colors for anything! I looked for months before finally locating a few on Denverfabrics.com. I bought this one and another in navy and white. They were both 100% cotton, but this one was a bit beefier so I went with it. The lining is a silky polyester something or another that I've had forever. It raveled like nobody's business but was thicker then normal lining fabric so was easier to work with.

Since this dress has a full lining, I decided to fit the lining first and eliminate any need to muslin. Then I could just cut the polka dotted fabric out and stitch it up without any issues. The problem was, the main fabric and lining fabric are totally different and did not behave in the same ways. I got the lining to fit like a glove and then had to totally refit the main body fabric to have it tailored to my form. I let this seam out and pulled that one in, over and over, and it is simply an answer to prayer that this thing fits and all the seams lined up. Honestly!

Here at the side is the invisible zipper. I restitched the bottom part below the waist seam several times and finally had to throw it in the dryer on hot to get the fabric to shrink back to normal.

I added the pink shoes for a little pop of color. And also to match Rachel's dress, which you shall see soon.

Oh, I just love this front bow area. SO CUTE! The fact that this is a Michael Kors design just has me brimming with pride. I don't know that many designers, but I certainly know him, and I am tempted to tell people this is one of his dresses without any further information. I won't, but I'm tempted.

Notice how the width of the top pleat is exactly the same as and lines up perfectly with the shoulder strap. This is fantastic drafting, people. This is the kind of detail that makes me happy.

Okay, here are the changes I made:
1. Took in the front bust cup seams 1/4" on the lining, and then had to really pull in the one vertical bust seams on the outer fabric. It is not at all a fitted seam and if you want a good fit you are going to have to adjust yours as well.
2. Shortened the length by 3" and eliminated the back slit. I always eliminate back vents when possible - just my personal preference.
3. Interfaced the neckline facings. Really, this is a must IMO.
4. Cut down the width of both bows by 1 1/4". They looked a tad disproportionately long to my eye.

And since I knew I'd be cold in church, I bought a white cabled cardigan at Target the other day to match. The buttons were plain and casual, so I replaced them with a bit of bling. JoAnn's is currently having a 50% off sale on buttons. I toted all my summer projects there in 3 large shopping bags and stocked up!

I love this dress. Truly. I haven't been this excited about a finished project in a really long time. It fits perfectly and I feel so pretty wearing it. It has restored my confidence and I'm back to loving this hobby once again.

70 comments:

  1. You are right to love it, because it is lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is atunning. of course, a girls best friends are polka dots and bows, this dress sort of covers all the bases. the sweater is a nice modesty touch for church too. glad your wadder season is over:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous dress! Looks beautiful on you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your dress is beautiful. Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful! The pink shoes are a great touch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is such a beautiful dress. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your dress is beyond gorgeous!!! I'm jealous you have a new Easter dress to wear, but atlas I've been too busy to sew one up and now the forcast is low 50's and rain, so what is the point? Looks like I'll be wearing winter clothes and knee high boots to church on Easter. :-( Happy Easter to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely LOVE polka dots. This dress is gorgeous and you do such wonderful work. I don't know how you manage time to sew with a tiny baby too. I am impressed. Oh, and love the pink shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No wonder you love it, it is an absolutely gorgeous dress and you look stunning in it. I have no idea why I didn't buy this pattern, I think I will have to now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. One word...STUNNING!

    Christiana
    sewamusing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a beautiful dress! I love the brown with white dots.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The dress is so pretty! A lovely outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can understand why you love this dress so much. Classic & elegant, but with designer details that really take it up a notch or three, yet still casual enough to wear during the day. Perfect! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This dress is just wonderful! I'm definitely adding it to my list, but just need an occasion to wear it. It might be a bit dressy for chasing the kids at the park. BTW -I've never commented on your blog before but have been following for a while. Congrats on having such a lovely little girl. I had my little girl after two boys too. Such a great surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful. I love the polkadots. My husband always says he doesn't like them, so I think I'll show him your dress to convert him ;-)

    Have a lovely Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great dress, Fantastic design, Beautifully sewn. Was it AWANA store night? That's what we had on our club calendar last Wed. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely dress! The details are just stunning! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just adorable. Love the pink shoes with it too. Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This beautiful dress is so perfect for Easter - festive looking but very elegant and grown-up. For a style like this, getting the right fit is vital and yours is perfect! I am sure that Michael Kors would love your version of his design - and would have given you full marks on Project Runway!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great dress! I love polka dots, but I don't actually have anything that has polka dots on it! I'll have to sew something :)
    Ashley x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great dress! I know what you mean about polka dot fabric not looking grown up enough.. I'm glad you finally found some. I bet you'll get tons of complements when you wear it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Stunning dress. I am in awe! Just been reading through your blog as a first time visitor. I absolutely love your style and your pattern choices! Going to be a long time follower I think! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  23. that is gorgeous, and the shoes match so nicely- what a perfect touch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely dress, you look amazing! I do believe that prayer and sewing go well together sometimes! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  25. So fantastic! I must get this pattern. I absolutely love the bow and pleats at the top!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You are so talented! Another fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This dress is fabulous but look at you ,girl! You must make all the other Mommies just green with jealousy! Great job!

    Your reason is exactly why I don't subscribe to the lining/muslin technique. Fabrics simply behave differently.

    ReplyDelete
  28. A great success! It's a super fit on you Amanda and I love the front bodice section.
    It's good when confidence it restored, but a toile saves a lot of heartache, unpicking and tears!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I can see why you're excited. That dress is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  30. You SHOULD be excited AND proud! I love the way you set up this post...scrolling down until the reveal! Lovely, lovely dress on you. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  31. You look fantastic and the interior is impeccable.

    ReplyDelete
  32. beautiful dress! fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love it! Might have to pick that pattern up for me.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Looks amazing!!! Perfect for Easter. I love the brown.

    ReplyDelete
  35. That is Adorable! I love the fabric, the pink shoes, the sweater and the bling. Nice job!

    The tip about throwing the piece in the dryer to shrink it back down is great. ***grin***

    I just finished my Easter dress yesterday, but it's nowhere near as fancy of yours. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  36. That is a stunning dress and you look totally gorgeous it it!!! Happy Easter...

    ReplyDelete
  37. Fabulous dress! The entire look is wonderful and again you bring a dress to my attention that I hadn't really paid any attention to.

    ReplyDelete
  38. What a beautiful Easter dress and you look stunning in it! But I had to laugh when you said you toted 3 shopping bags to Joanne's for the button sale...mental pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. love it, looks great on you. Now I have to get this pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  40. You have created a fantastic dress. It looks fabulous on you and the shoes are great! Good taste that you have chosen a light cardigan to wear in church. :)

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  41. That is absolutely gorgeous!!! I just bought that pattern during BMV's pattern sale this past week.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Well done you! Excellent work.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Georgeous dress! And so well-made!! Suits you perfectly, you look lovely in it.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Perfect for Easter, weddings, etc. You should get a lot of mileage out of this dress!

    As usual, your expert skills shine through in the finished project.

    ReplyDelete
  45. You look pretty wearing it!!! How cute! Love it.
    Can't wait to see the baby dress!

    ReplyDelete
  46. This look gorgeous in your fabulous dress.

    ReplyDelete
  47. " I am tempted to tell people this is one of his dresses without any further information. I won't, but I'm tempted."
    It's lovely and you can say "it is a Michael Kors DESIGN" and leave it at that.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Beautiful dress! I love the polka dots and the bow. You look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  49. AWANA is a good reason to miss posting on your blog. My kids were in AWANA and now my grandchildren (3) all go to AWANA. Anyway, fabulous dress, Amanda. So flattering on you and the pink shoes are perfect. Have a blessed Resurrection Day.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Beautiful dress! You're sure to get a lot of wear out of this one! I think I may need to add this pattern to my list :) Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  51. The dress is lovely but what warms my heart is to hear you say you love sewing again.. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  52. lindo,perfeito,simples. muito bem feito. Beijinho

    Jubi

    ReplyDelete
  53. Awesome job as always. Your skills are so impressive. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  54. Oh, ... a very nice dress and you look great in it! The fit and processing as always, perfect.
    A very beautiful and sophisticated styles.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Your dress fits perfectly and looks wonderful. I think it is so fun to have such a sophisticated style made using a polka dot fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  56. This is a lovely pattern and you have made it even lovlier with the choice of fabric and attention to fit. What a fabulous outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  57. Amanda it's magnificent. I love this pattern but didn't buy it because my daughters are chesty and it looked a bear to do a FBA to. She look glamorous in it.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Fantastic! You look amazing in this dress and it is so well made. Love the polka dots!!

    ReplyDelete
  59. Adorable and well made as usual. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  60. That is SUCH a pretty dress...very current styling with the whole shoulder treatment, too. Good fabric choice, flattering...how can you go wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  61. Just wanted to let you know we like your version of V1176 so much we posted a link to your blog from our Vogue Patterns Facebook page. Love your choice of fabric!
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Vogue-Patterns/162123863798229

    ReplyDelete
  62. What a lovely dress! You did a great job. I love sophisticated polka-dot dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  63. Beautiful dress! Great pattern and fabric selection. Your success with this pattern makes me think maybe I should try it. I like to sparkly buttons on the cardi, too. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  64. you look beautiful in that dress. and the cardigan makes your dress look different. it's nice...

    ReplyDelete
  65. Beautiful dress, Amanda. Thanks for the noting your changes to the bust area. I'm adding this one to my pattern list.

    ReplyDelete
  66. I LOVE pink and brown paired together, so this outfit is a total win in my book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  67. I love this dress! Great job finding the fabric. I've had the same problem. And finally gave up.

    ReplyDelete
  68. Your dress looks great. I have this pattern but would have to figure out how to do a fba on it...

    ReplyDelete