Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Vogue 8635 - Wrap knit top in bright turquoise

Hello! It's been a few weeks since I've had something to show you, even though I have been sewing all that time. This has been a tough year for me and wadders. I thought I couldn't go very wrong with a doubleknit top, and am pleased with the outcome. This fabric is a ponte knit from Fabricmartfabrics.com. I first saw it when Trena made this dress from it, and I bought some for a dress as well. But when it arrived it looked really bright - too bright for the dress I had envisioned - but looking at it now a dress would have been fine. Anyway, it matches this skirt perfectly, and I'd long since gotten rid of the original top made to go with it. (It was too tight and was made with a really cheap quality fabric.)

After my machine had such problems stitching my winter white doubleknit dress, I fully expected it to rebel against this fabric too. But, for whatever reason, it sewed it up without incident, even though the fabric is the exact same just a different color.

I really liked the front bands and neckline of this design, and the fact that it is was a wrap top designed for a knit. I did buy it for the cap sleeve version, but had plenty of fabric so opted for the 3/4 sleeves for this one. I'll make the other version some other time.

I cut a straight size 12 and made no changes to the pattern for fit. Here at the back you can see where I changed the neckline to include a band as the fronts do. It was a very simple change, but makes the garment look congruous. The other change I made was to cut 1.5" off the sleeve bottom, because the sleeve was too long and bubbled up awkwardly around my elbow.

I have been forcing myself to sew for a particular season for nearly a year now. First I made winter so I could wear it after my baby was born. Now I'm making myself sew spring styles, but what I really desire is to make some pretty summer dresses. So, that is what I'm going to do! And if I suddenly get an inkling to make something for some other season, I've given myself permission to do that as well.

29 comments:

  1. Olá, belíssimo top, a cor é linda e o modelo muito bonito. Vejo que você já voltou a seu peso de antes da gravidêz, dar a luz a uma menina fez bem a você.

    Abraços

    Eilane - Brasil

    ReplyDelete
  2. This top is fabulous! (I love the skirt too)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made this top too and always get a lot of compliments on it. Yours looks great! There is an Armani jacket that is basically a tweedy knit version of this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty! And, it turns out I was wrong. The neckline doesn't come out as floppy as I had feared. Guess I'll be picking this one up at the next Vogue sale after all! :-) And I love that color--in general--but also think it's fabulous on you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty!!! Turquoise looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love what you do! I also started sewing when I was young, but it never took off til after my boys got out of the baby stage. It is a huge hobby for me now. I do alot of bags, table runners, purses, ect. Just recently started to experiment with clothes. I am a penny pincher and never buy anything w/o a coupon. Hoping to get a new wardrobe for cheap:) I recently started a blog to kind of showcase my hobby. fabriccreations.wordpress.com. Maybe stop by and let me know what you think. It's still a work in progress. I love following blogs like yours for tips, ideas and just to see what others are doing:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super cute outfit and the colors look great on you. I think you can wear anything and look marvelous. Thank you for the picture of little Rachel last post. She is so adorable I am always excited to see her.

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a cute top and it looks really nice with that skirt. I can't believe the coincidence, but I was just admiring a Carolina Herrera dress on the NM web site that had a similar shaped neck band and cross over front. Hmmm I may have to buy this pattern. I agree that the top needed the band on the back too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The color is lovely on you and goes so perfectly with your skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That top looks great on you, fantastic colour and it looks comfortable to boot! Not to mention it just happens to perfectly match that skirt, bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now I wish I picked this up during the pattern sale, too. The color is gorgeous and looks fabulous with your skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. great colour on you! Very cute outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's very cute. I love the assymetry. And the color.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, obviously you have great taste in color. `-) This is a great top--love you idea to make it out of double knit, which seems better suited to the style than a regular knit. The back band was the perfect addition!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How cute!
    I have that pattern in my stash and have never made it... now I want to.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very cute! I had so much trouble with this pattern and it bummed me out because I love the style so much. It looks so cute on you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello! I must say that I have a lot of blog-envy here. :) I looooooove looking at all of the gorgeous garments you've made yourself. And then I look at my rather pitiful collection of 3 dresses and 1 shirt that I've made myself and I want to cry! :( But I'm really just a basics kind of a sewer, however much that I love it. I keep working at it and I know I'll get better and better! But in the meantime - I love love love looking at what you've done. My favorite pics have been that winter-white dress and the plum military jacket. And as much as you said you hated it, I really liked that yellow linen jacket. You can send it to my house! :)

    Thanks for sharing your blog. It's a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh wow, I am wearing the exact same fabric today (except I have it in black). I made a pair of simple pants to try out this knit that everyone loves. Well, now I love it, too!
    Your top is darling and I like the addition of the neckline placket to the back. Perhaps I'll see if there is any more of this fabric online!

    ReplyDelete
  19. this top looks so nice on you. the wrap style compliments the figure so well. one would never know you had a baby recently...how do you do it all? I like that you continued the neck band around to the back, much cleaner and more finished look.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The top looks great. The color is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have this top ready to cut in steel grey/blue linen. Your version is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very pretty! That is a great color on you.

    ReplyDelete