Sunday, March 27, 2011

Simplicity 3790 - Red & white print knit top

I have a bright orange RTW top in this same style that I wear all the time, so knew I would love the fit of this pattern. The top is loose and casual through the midsection, but still fitted with the lower band and not too dumpy. Waist definition - even when low - is something I really like. Also, we are flying to Oregon this summer for vacation and I'm planning to fit everyone's clothing and such into carry-ons to avoid baggage fees. This ITY knit will be perfect as it hardly takes up any space and never wrinkles.

This fabric is from Denverfabrics.com - AKA Fashion Fabrics Club - and I've had it for a year or so. I cut the inside shell and bottom band on the cross grain to give it a bit of interest and so the design of the top didn't get lost with my busy fabric.


I love the addition of elastic at the shoulders.

I cut a straight size 10 and am usually a 12 in patterns. The only change I made to the construction was to use a bias tape finish for the neckline. I made a tutorial for that awhile back - check it out if you're interested. I've read on several blogs how necklines in knits can also be finished with clear elastic and am going to give this method a try soon.

You can see more of the bias tape finishing along the inside shell:

And look! I made a muslin! Okay, not really. It was yet another wadder, can you believe that?

When I finished cutting this out out, I wanted to try to make it per the pattern instructions and not be so fussy with the insides. I'm always reading how others have taken only a few hours to make a garment, and thought I needed an instant gratification project. So I folded over the fabric and stitched in place for the shell, and did a 5/8" double folded hem for the outer neckline. It stretched out horribly!!! The thing was practically falling off me! So now I am back to my bias tape finishing because that certainly does not stretch out. I didn't cry about this one though, just rolled my eyes a bit. I must be getting use to wadders. I wasn't too crazy about the fabric either, and think it resembles a black trash bag, especially from a distance when you can't see the snakelike texture.

I'm almost finished with a little denim skirt for my baby, and will be back in a few days with pictures of that. It is just adorable!

33 comments:

  1. Very cute top! I love the color! :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this shirt! Just added the pattern to my "want" list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this pattern and have not made it yet...great to see someone I subscribe to make it up nicely! I even like your wadder, LOL!!! I can't wait to see your daughter's denim skirt, I bet it will be just adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This top is great! I love the effect of cutting those pieces on the cross-grain. Looks fantastic. And, I appreciate your link to the tutorial. I'm starting a knit wrap dress soon and will think about using bias tape for the neckline. It's a similar neckline to this top. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like a great pattern, I like how there is a completed shell under the wrap. Your version looks fantastic, it's a really nice print and your finishing is perfect - as always!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cute little top! Another winner!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is funny how different patterns can look made up compared to the envelope. I never like the envelope but after seeing your version I think I will give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like your top, and want to thank you for doing it! I have seen this pattern a bunch of times and wondered what it would look like sewn. You are the person who first inspired me to sew, and continue to do so!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very Cute! I would have totally passed up this pattern but seeing yours makes me want one. I even have a similar fabric ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never would have pictured you in this style because you do such great tailored garments but it is fab! The color is perfect (so jealous--I don't have enough orange) and the style is casual but chic. You almost make me think I could wear this pattern (I couldn't, I'm way too big in the hips).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cutting the bottom band on the cross grain is brilliant - really makes the top special.
    And I am glad to hear you sew wadders. I am perplexed that some folks sew up knit tops in just a couple hours. I believe them - but I wonder why can't I do that?

    Super cute top!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how you made this one your own. It looks vibrant and unique, even with the simple shaping.

    Cant wait to see the denim skirt for your little one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks great! I have had this pattern for a few years now and it has gone untouched. Yours makes me want to move it to the top of my must sew list!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute top Amanda--the red and white print is just stunning! It's also a great color on you. Great rebound from the wadder--I think it's great that you go out on the limb to try new things with your sewing. Alot of people shy away from that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous top. I would never have looked at this pattern but your top is very funky. Great use of the print.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Super cute! The color and print look outstanding on you. It will be perfect for your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the red and white top. I'm sure that you've made a red skirt way back that this would look fabulous with too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this top! You really used the fabric to its best advantage. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great top! And it looks great on you!

    xxoo -N
    http://sequins-and-stripes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cute top,I think I have this pattern in my stash. I like the way you cut the shell so that it resulted in horizontal stripes on the "V" in the front. Maybe this will break your string of wadders.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm in love with this! Not only is it a great style on you, but the use of this printed jersey is wonderful. You look so happy and perfect for spring in this look. Total winner!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love to sew, but I know little and want to learn more
    love your blog !!!!!
    I'm following
    kisses from Brazil

    http://munamo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love your top - I never noticed this pattern but, of course, now that I have seen your beautiful version I want to buy it. The way you have cut the fabric is so clever - you have such a great eye for knowing how to use fabric in an interesting way to make a garment look really special!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just bought some clear elastic at the recent sewexpo in Puyallup (sewexpo.com). You will probably use yours before I use mine.
    I am excited you are coming to Oregon. Let me know if you need help planning your trip highlights.
    Lovely blouse. The detailing is great.

    ReplyDelete
  25. super cute top. it has the semi-tailored look of a blouse but the comfort and style of a t. nice print too!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I LOVE how you used your red & white fabric! You really made it work!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Adorable as usual! Hey if you are coming to Portland during your Oregon trip and you want to fabric shop I'm your gal.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love this blouse - - it is beautiful! Definitely one I will be adding to my sewing list. I was wondering how would you line a light or sheer knit blouse? I have a light yellow knit that I want to make but am hesitant that it would be too sheer for comfort without lining. Looking forward to your answer. Thanks for continuing to inspire us!
    Rosalia

    ReplyDelete
  29. Way too cute! You did a great job and it looks fantastic on you!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love this on you - so cute! You look fabulous as always!

    ReplyDelete