The last three words from my previous post were "easy fast project." Given my track record, I am usually very weary of the words "easy" and "fast". I suppose I was feeling confident from not having a wadder in quite some time. At any rate, here is the state of the easy fast knit top that was suppose to be whipped up in only a day or so:
WHY does this happen to me so often?! I can make a very detailed, fitted, lined garment and it goes together with relative ease. I attempt and easy project and have issue upon issue.
Okay, here's the story. I bought this green matte jersey specifically to match some brown & green plaid jacket fabric. I ordered 1.5 yards from Denverfabrics.com sometime last year, and they generously sent me 2.25 yards. I started with Butterick 5354, which other sewers have had good luck with over at patternreview.com. Once the facing was attached, the weight of the front tucked area pulled down on the facing and it showed. I thought perhaps I had picked too heavy of a fabric for the design. Not that matte jersey is a particularly heavy fabric. Okay, no matter, I've got extra fabric. I unpicked all the shoulder stitches as I planned to reuse the back, and cut a new front and facings from Simplicity 2603, view E (the little knit shell.) I turned the inside facing under and slipstitched it to the outside facing for a smooth finish. Except this darn fabric shows every little pucker from hand stitching. It is the peachskin of knits and looked very homemade. Ugh! After two top attempts I am out of fabric and 4 days sewing time. And totally turned off my next jacket project.
I am now going to attempt a fitted blouse, which I'll not describe as either "easy" nor "fast".