Thursday, March 11, 2010

I had such high hopes for this dress...

Here is the project I've been working on lately. It's dress 113 from the Burda August 2009 issue. (See below for a picture.) This wasn't really on my radar until I found this nifty burned-out velvet looking fabric at Hancock's for super cheap.

It turned out to have a really big repeating pattern. Since the front bodice and sleeves are cut on the bias, I decided to starch those pieces so I could match up the patterns perfectly and not have it slipping and stretching all over the place. When the die in the fabric promptly bleed onto the muslin it was starched on top of, I though "Uh-oh. This is not a good sign." However, I thought it might wash out so I completed the seams for the top of the dress. The pattern matching turned out just about perfect:

This is the back seam where I omitted the zipper and planned to have a small button and loop closure:

Here's what happens to you when you think pridefully to yourself that you are the best pattern matcher ever:

You go to wash the starch out of the fabric and it bleeds horribly and stains the surrounding fabric. (I handwashed with cold water in the sink.) This is unwearable, people. Please, no comments about how it's not so bad and I should finish it anyway.

I guess I'm glad this happened before I got caught in a rainstorm wearing the completed dress out and about. The moral of this story is that sometimes cheap fabric is cheap for a reason.

8-09-113

14 comments:

  1. Oh but I think you could...

    Just kiddin! haha!! I'm so sorry though, that's aggravating. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doesn't matter how cheap, it should not do that! Unless they warn you before you buy. Oh well, the pattern lining up was good practice - very nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a shame. The pattern was lined up perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could you re-dye it in a single colour and use something like Retayne to set it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe this happened even after you prewashed it! what a waste.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boo-hiss!!! I hate this happened to you. And you matched up the design so perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear/see your bleeding problem! That would have been the cutest dress. What a disappointment. I'd still like to hear how using starch can help you match print patterns though. I have a print that's not match up well and if there's a trick that will help me, I definitely need it.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How's about some bluing agent? You know you've been wanting to buy that mystery bottle of blue stuff and wondered if it could be used on items other than old lady hair.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How disappointing, it looked like pretty fabric too. Did you like how the pattern was shaping up, are you going to give it another try in a different fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  10. That just plain "STINKS"! I like to get deals on fabric, but there is that time here and there, when it bites me....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bummer--that fabric was pretty awesome and you did such an excellent job matching up the patterns.... :-(

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you're able to salvage this one because that pattern is really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a bummer about the bleeding, because you DID match the pattern perfectly... wish I had your skillz!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's so funny you should say that because I think alot of us that sew are perfectionist and we strive to look like we stepped out of an upscale boutique and God forbid we walk around with bleeding fabric or a stain. I tried to do just that last year, and it seemed that no one realized it but I did, and I never wore the top again. You have to feel comfortable in your clothes. Sorry the fabric was a bust. Maybe you can return it.

    ReplyDelete