Here is the project I've been working on lately. It's dress 113 from the Burda August 2009 issue. (See below for a picture.) This wasn't really on my radar until I found this nifty burned-out velvet looking fabric at Hancock's for super cheap.
It turned out to have a really big repeating pattern. Since the front bodice and sleeves are cut on the bias, I decided to starch those pieces so I could match up the patterns perfectly and not have it slipping and stretching all over the place. When the die in the fabric promptly bleed onto the muslin it was starched on top of, I though "Uh-oh. This is not a good sign." However, I thought it might wash out so I completed the seams for the top of the dress. The pattern matching turned out just about perfect:
This is the back seam where I omitted the zipper and planned to have a small button and loop closure:
Here's what happens to you when you think pridefully to yourself that you are the best pattern matcher ever:
You go to wash the starch out of the fabric and it bleeds horribly and stains the surrounding fabric. (I handwashed with cold water in the sink.) This is unwearable, people. Please, no comments about how it's not so bad and I should finish it anyway.
I guess I'm glad this happened before I got caught in a rainstorm wearing the completed dress out and about. The moral of this story is that sometimes cheap fabric is cheap for a reason.