I was proudly showing Justin last night how I had lined up the plaids for the back of my new dress. Then I said something along the lines of "I've gotten so much done lately and haven't had any wadders. It's such a nice feeling."
And what do you know but today when I got the dress far enough along to "try it on" - with only the shoulder seams attached - that I noticed a big problem in the pattern's drafting. The straps sit on the ends of the shoulders!!! If you look closely at the dress on the envelope, you can just see the strap on her left shoulder is waving way away from her upper chest because it has been moved to the top of her shoulder. The right strap - that would have given a very clear indication of any glaring issues - is completely covered by a huge fabric flower!!! Now I realize had I done a muslin I would have figured this out and not ruined my fabric. However, this still really irritates me! I feel like I've been lied to and mislead into thinking this was a well fitting dress. You might sometimes expect this from envelopes that only feature drawings of the garments, but not ones with actual photographs!
I'm feeling a little meh about sewing at the moment.
***Edited to add:***
The straps sit on the downward curve of the shoulder where it becomes the arm. So it would be practically slipping off. And I don't have narrow shoulders either. I did buy some extra fabric for this to match the plaids, so I can cut another bodice top. I'll probably do that after I've thought about it for awhile. I'm just annoyed about them covering up the true nature of the dress with that dang flower!