Gosh, it's been 10 days since my last post. My fall schedule is really kicking my behind. And this was actually completed early Wednesday but we were too busy to take pictures. At any rate, here is my latest creation. It is being worn with this skirt.
This is view C with the darts of B/D and the sleeves of A. Let me just say, the sizing on this was ridiculously huge. (I am not one to complain about sizing on big 4 patterns. They are what they are. Know your measurements and how much ease you prefer in a garment, then cut according to the measurements on the pattern pieces. If the pattern doesn't have measurements printed on the pieces, get out your measuring tape and a calculator that adds inches, and measure it for yourself.) I am usually a 12 in the big 4, but I cut this out in an 8!!! Even the sleeves were super big around. And making it without darts like the pattern picture? Heaven forbid!
I loved the curved tucked panel of this top and the cute cuffed sleeves. Otherwise, it's a simple collared shirt. With a collar stand. I do not make collared shirts without collar stands. The collars never look right IMO. The fabric is a crisp white cotton poplin picked up at Hancock earlier this spring. I needed something a bit neutral for the wardrobe, and this fit the bill.
When I first attached the sleeve cuffs, the cuffs were too tall. I measured the similar sleeves of this dress and found the white ones were 5/8" bigger. No problem. I trimmed them down and like these much better.
Here's the collar and button band close up. Who knew white was almost as hard to photograph as black? If you use the flash it gets completely washed out. If you take your photos at night with no flash the fabric looks very yellowed. The next 4 were taken near a window in the afternoon and the fabric looks super wrinkly. So... there you go.
This had some fun needle work to do. I actually enjoy putting in collars and collar bands if the fabric has some give to it. This cotton was a breeze. I have learned my lesson with polyesters and collar stands and won't be doing that again.
Just a few modifications to the inside construction were made. I used my typical french seams for all vertical seams. Not only are they neat on the inside, but crisp and tidy looking on the outside where the seams are slightly visible. Here at the shoulder you can also view the bias tape used to cover the sleeve/armhole seam.
Here's the armhole and side french seam:
Three down, 7 to go. The Vogue 1051 pants in a brown pinstripe have already been cut out and I started construction on them yesterday. During the commercials of Project Runway, of course. After that I'm hoping to take a little break from the wardrobe and make myself a dress for my birthday in early October. If I get 4 garments done each month for the wardrobe contest I think I'll be sitting pretty. Y'all have a great weekend!