Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Wardrobe Contest - Update

Okay, I've filled in a few question marks. Back in late spring when I bought the coordinating Monaco fabrics from JoAnn's, there was this brown brocade that I thought very lovely. It unfortunately sold out before I could purchase any. I was daydreaming about what I could possibly do for a "topper" and thinking what a pity it was not to have the brown brocade. Then I got a wild hair and searched the JoAnn's website. Low and behold they had some! And it was marked down to $6.80/yard! (Although I don't know how you find anything on their site if you don't know the specific fabric line name.) I ordered 2 yards of it and here's what it looks like:

I'm thinking I'll use this jacket pattern from Burda's May 2009 issue:

And even though I will be dressed in a lot of brown, at least with the brocade there will be a floral pattern to break it up.

As for the border print sequin fabric, I think I'll go with NewLook 6829, view D. For the neck trim and front placket I'm planning to use the satin side of some turquoise crepe back satin. That way I'll have a stable fabric to hold it up and close it. I can't tell if the bottom portion is cut on the bias, but if so I'll simply cut it straight grain and put in a side zipper.

The only thing I'm not sure of is the white stretch poplin. I'm going to have to comb through my Burdas and pattern stash to figure it out.

I'm still plugging away on Simplicity 3775. Hopefully I'll find some time tomorrow to finish it up.

8 comments:

  1. Great find, I never would've thought to look there! Where will you use the border on the New Look? At the skirt hem or sleeve hem?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Kristine,
    It will be at the bottom of the shirt hem. I'm making the sleeveless version.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The brown brocade is beautiful. Congrats on finding it! It will work so well with your wardrobe plans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats for finding the fabric online - it is very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that brocade - in fact all the fabrics you have put aside for your contest plan look wonderful - your wardrobe is going to look stunning this fall!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations for finding the brocade!
    It´s very lovely! That colour is very combinable for the autumn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great project. Can't wait to see it, when you are finished.

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous fabric! The jacket pattern from Burda's May 2009 is one of my favorites too, and it's on my sewing list for fall

    ReplyDelete