Here's my new favorite jacket. It has a lot of piping on it. I usually like to do piping, but on this jacket it got a little tedious. This is a medium weight cotton bought from Hancock fabrics a few months back. The piping is the package kind.
I was worried that it would be too loud or too 80's. But by letting it be the main actor and wearing black everywhere else, I think it works. By the way, I made the skirt as well. It's from this post.
The only alteration I did was a small SBA - I think I trimmed off about 1/4" from each front side for a total of 1/2" off the bust. People always ask about fitting and I just don't usually have a tough job of it. Other then being a bit small up top and not having much of a waist, I'm pretty average.
Here's a close-up shot for you. I completely love the style of this jacket with the separate collar and lapels, front angled pockets, and curved edges of the cap sleeves.
I didn't love the sleeves it came with. They were so poofy and wide. I suppose they might look cute with a more subdued fabric, but to me they just looked clownish. These are the substitutes I cut from Butterick 5331. I had zero fabric left over after I cut this out and when the sleeves turned out so undesirable, I got a little nervous. Thankfully I had the Butterick in my stash and the sleeve height was exactly the same for both patterns. I took a chance - should have done a mock up before I cut the old ones - but they turned out fabulously so no worries anymore.
These little pockets are purely decorative. (My boys want to put their toys inside!) I didn't even see the darts until I cut it out. They are sewn first and slip-stitched to the front before the lining gets attached.
Here's the lining. I wanted to do a pop of red there but it would have shown through the white of the zebra print. I do love doing lining. Other than not being easily laundered, it really gives the insides of garments a beautiful finish.
This is the piping at the sides. It's the only place where it can't be continuous. I pondered at first about how I could change up the sewing sequence to make it be continuous. But I couldn't find a way to do it and in the end it's completely unnoticeable when worn.
Okay, people, tomorrow is the start of the fall wardrobe contest over at Patternreview.com. I am very excited to get started but a little saddened by all the great things I have for fall that will get put on the back burner. I think I will squeeze in a few non-wardrobe items here and there to keep my eyes from crossing over all the brown and teal.